What does this mean? Help. Do i need an op?

Post here if you are new to the board and not sure where to post your question. Or if your question or comment is of a general nature. The KNEEguru may move it later to a more relevant section if necessary.
Floydsters1
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

What does this mean? Help. Do i need an op?

Post by Floydsters1 »

MRI SCAN LEFT KNEE Clinical information: Football injury six weeks ago. ? Meniscal tear. Findings: There is a short superior surface cleavage tear of the posterior horn of the lateral meniscus. This is associated with a partial thickness radial tear of the junction between the body and posterior horn of the lateral meniscus. The medial meniscus is intact. There is a localised posterior horn meniscocapsular strain. The anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments are intact. The medial and lateral ligamentous structures are intact. The articular surfaces in all three compartments are intact. There is a small effusion. Conclusion: Short superior surface cleavage tear posterior horn lateral meniscus with partial thickness radial tear. Posterior horn medial meniscus meniscocapsular strain

Please can someone help me. I'm really worrying about it and what needs to be done to sort this problem. As i can't play football until i am sorted and iam getting myself down.
Last edited by Floydsters1 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Left Knee - Tear of the Lateral Meniscus (Athroscopic Surgery - Dec 08)

Right Knee- Knee Cap Dislocation - No Surgery Required
jathib
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Re: What does this mean? Help. Do i need an op?

Post by jathib »

It means you have a meniscus tear. It won't heal on its own but you can live with it if it doesn't lock up your knee or cause pain. Otherwise you'll need surgery to remove the torn bits. Your doctor will have to explain what it all means for you.
Floydsters1
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by Floydsters1 »

Thanks. So i guess i've torn my cartilage in my knee, and this needs to be removed. Well that's if the doctor thinks it will cure my clicking and loose knee.

Does anyone know the average amount of time you wait after the appointment discussing the results of the mri scan to the operation on the NHS? I know the waiting time will vary from hospital to hospital but what length of time will i be likely to expect?

jathib
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by jathib »

They won't remove the whole meniscus. They only remove the parts that are torn and leave the rest. That is, unless they think they can sew it back together which sometimes works but seems to have a high failure rate. It may not cure the clicking and loose knee. A torn ACL is more often associated with a loose knee. You'll need to discuss it all with your orthopedic surgeon if you ever get in to see one.
Clarkey
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by Clarkey »

My Sister a Nurse at an orthopaedic ward in Ipswich and she told me if you need surgery you should not wait any longer then 12 weeks (3 months) after you seen an OS. If you live in a big City as I do in Birmingham might take the full 12 weeks or longer as there are more people to treat, in smaller towns could be operated within 6 weeks, less population less waiting time.

Good luck with you knee issues.

Nick :) {2008} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release &nbsp;
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming
Floydsters1
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by Floydsters1 »

Thanks Guys for your advice and help.

I have had an appointment and i need an op. The doctor said that i would have a couple of months of waiting, so i guess it's not too bad

Thanks again

Clarkey
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by Clarkey »

Good news in a way about having a scope as I sure it will be a success and will be back playing football next season. I finally got a date for my injection into the fat pad, about time as well will be 15 months since my fall when I see the OS in January. I hope you dont have to wait to long for your surgery its better to get it over and done with.

Keep us posted when you get a date for your op.

Nick :) {2008} :)
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
Floydsters1
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by Floydsters1 »

I've had the op over Xmas and i'm 1 week and 2 days into recovery. I can just about walk with a limp and the swelling has come down considerably, but there is some swelling under the knee cap.

i'm getting some flexibility in the knee, as the swelling reduces. i am worried that the operation has not been a total success, as when i move my knee joint, my leg is still clicking and popping in the exact same place(lateral), when i straighten my leg from it being in a bent position (90 degrees). I have still got the stitches in my leg and all that the surgeon told me after the op was that i had a large tear in my lateral meniscus.

i will be attending an outpatients appointment soon so that they can take the stitches out.

Should i be concerned that my leg is still clicking. Can i continue to play football, once i have built my leg back up?

I'm just not confident that the surgery has fixed my knee.

Clarkey
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by Clarkey »

Hi there,

Try not to worry just yet about if the scope was a success or not its early days still and your knee been through a shock and bound not to feel right just yet. If you that worried about it then see the OS and discuss your concerns with him to put your mind at ease.

I am sure you be back playing football but not at a competitive level as knee wont be 100% after you had a scope but sure you will still be able to play.

Nick :) {2009} :)

Floydsters1
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by Floydsters1 »

Thanks Nick. Good luck with your procedure. Hope all goes well for you

Clarkey
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by Clarkey »

Thankyou for wishing me good luck with my procedure next week that I am optimistic about and hope it ends my right knee problems and if it does not will be heading for a scope that would not be a shock for me as I kind of knew it might happen in the end. If the injection works and cures my right knee then fantastic and wont need to face a scope.

When I said you wont be as competitive when playing football I ment might feel the odd pain and discomfort in the knee while playing. Michael Owen tore his ACL a few years ago but is now playing for Newcastle United and is playing well. Darren Gough the former England bowler had right knee problems and some scopes and won strictly come dancing in 2007.

There are lots more sports men and women that gone back to playing thier sports they always enjoyed, so got a good chance of playing football again.

Nick :) {2009} :)

Return to “GENERAL KNEE QUESTIONS and comments (good for new threads)”