Hugh's microfracture diary

Abrasion arthroplasty, drilling, carbon fibre rods, bone graft substitutes, microfracture
mcdirt
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Ran one mile!

Post by mcdirt »

My first run tonight. One mile very slow on pavement. 13.5 weeks poste surgery. I can feel it in my knee when I flex it (a little pain in the range of motion where my defect is). However no problem or limp walking, no pain, and only a little catch going down stairs (which is normal from time to time at this stage). I'm very encouraged, especially about the prospects for some light tennis when we vacation in Floriday in a few days.

I've continued a pretty aggressive regime on the stationary bike, eliptical, leg weights and other strengthening, and can only presume it has helped. I do not intend to make jogging a regular form of exercise any longer. I never did enjoy it much, and assume it's a repetitive impact in the same spot every time. I'm growing to like the bike a bit....perhaps when the weather warms I'll even start enjoying the "real" bike. We'll see.
Last edited by mcdirt on Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
mcdirt
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Re: Hugh's microfracture diary

Post by mcdirt »

A couple days shy of 16 weeks post surgery. Hit tennis balls three days on vacation last week....20, 30 and 35 minute sessions with some fairly aggressive play (though noncompetitive). Results were excellent. No pain. And less problem with certain types of motion than I had pre-surgery.

The knee did swell some...probably a combo of tennis, lots of bike riding and walking that I'm not used to.

So I'm very pleased with the progress so far.
mcdirt
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Update, tennis!

Post by mcdirt »

An update. Four months post-surgery and everything is going very well. No swelling, No pain. Played an hour of light tennis Sunday and the microfractured knee was a rock. I didn't feel there was anything I couldn't do.

I continue to do my exercises and the stationary bike. Though not as aggresively as before. The one "test" that still gives me problems is going up a stair backward....stepping up backward with by MF knee, and pulling my good leg up with all my weight on the repaired knee. But that is much better than it was only weeks ago. Warmer weather will bring more strenuous tests, but I have a feeling the surgery has been a success. How long it will last is the key question, and only time will tell.

Squates...deep squats...are also a problem as is the leg press. My therapist told me not to "push" with lots of weight on the bad leg....but to "push" with an assist from the other leg and then "release" slowly with the MF leg only.

Am continuing on glucosamine/chondrotin, and have vowed to swear off regular jogging. I'd rather not take that chance and, hey, I'm beginning to enjoy the bike!

mcdirt
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Five Month Update

Post by mcdirt »

Five Months post-surgery. I really haven't tested it very much this month. Hibernating inside until spring. I've not been as aggressive about PT and exercise, which may be why I'm getting some aching and pain lately. I can truly say this is the first setback...or backward movement....since my surgery. Nonetheless, it has not prevented me from doing anything I want. Summer tennis may be another story.

I also missed a stair in the dark, and fell hard on it. Scared me more than hurt, but surely didn't help the healing process.

mcdirt
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Eleven months, knee is solid

Post by mcdirt »

It's been 11 months since my MF, and I am pleased to report that the knee has been solid as a rock. I only update because I suspect that this site is a treasure of information for folks who have trouble with their MF surgeries, and that it doesn't necessarily attract the success stories.

Now, I understand that it may not hold up for more than a few years.

And, I also suspect that some back problems I've had this summer may stem from my knee problems....either I had been overcompensating for so long that it threw my alignment off to be back on full weight on the bad knee; or perhaps the prolonged period of inactivity after the surgery was difficult to come back from.

My surgeon did tell me that the reason my cartilage was worn out was due to an alignment problem (probably the same one that has made my back a mess for decades). So I am trying to find an osteopath who can help work on that, and may have found a winner. The next few months will tell.

Nonetheless, I have done light jogging, light tennis and regular walks and such during the summer. I've tried to keep up on some of the aftercare exercises, and do admit there is still a painful "catch" sometimes when doing wall slides or squat-like exercises. But other than that, the "good" knee aches more than the surgically altered one!

MFNovice
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by MFNovice »

Same Here,

I had my knee scoped because of knee & foot trouble. They told be to bring crutches the day before. I come out of it & find out I had a torn meniscus & pot hole the size of the end of a pinky finger in my knee which they did MF on. I was then told I would have to be on crutches 6 to 8 weeks. I was p****d they didn't explain this to me as a possibility before hand. I was allowed to stand on it @ 6 weeks. I was allowed to walk @ 8 weeks 3 days. I have been walking for 3 days with small sharp pains in my knee, where I had MF. My foot & calf hurt the worst, as to be expected with a lot of atrophy after not walking on it. I would like to note I have been doing intense pt since the 4th week, and I know this has made it bearable. I had the surgery on my right knee. I was allowed to drive 2nd week post surgery. I am lucky it was my right knee not my left as my truck is a manual. The whole experience has made me quite depressed as I see all of these posts regarding bad outcomes, I guess I had not other option though. Oh yeah, I'm 26. I guess I have a knee replacement to look forward too in my 30's :-(
Marjan
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by Marjan »

Hey MFNovice.......don't get too discouraged!! This knee site, while absolutely great, has a tendency, like many medical sites, to draw people who are having problems and looking for answers. Those that have had successful MFX don't usually spend time here for long.
This is my second MFX....my first was a "pot hole size" (like that description ;D) on my femoral condyle and after 5 years it's doing just fine, thank you! Unfortunately, my trochlear groove somehow got damaged, and am just about 7 weeks out from that surgery. You are very young (I'm 50) and there are lots of other options in case this doesn't work for you. Be aware that MFX is a long rehab with quite a bit of discomfort and the feeling that it didn't work seems to run pretty common to most people.
My first MFX was a surprise like yours....yup, it pissed me off too, especially since I was told the rehab was 6 weeks of NWB....right.........THEN the rehab started. I'd say it took me a good 8 months to a year to feel like I was passed that surgery.

Hang in there.......this can, and does, work for many. Good luck -

marjan
chondr1
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by chondr1 »

I am so happy for you! Thanks for posting and I hope your results last a nice long time.

xo
D
nicolek
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by nicolek »

Hi, I just wanted to let you know about my experience with microfracture, and hopefully it is helpful to you. I also had a failed microfracture at 25 years old, after I injured my articular cartilage playing softball. I was in almost the same amount of pain before and after my surgery and I was extremely discouraged. My pain was very sharp.. I was unable to run across the street or climb up stairs in a normal manner. Then a year and a half later I had an OATS procedure, and my knee feels so much better. I could tell it was better from the moment I bent it after surgery. I took my recovery very slowly (i pushed it very hard with the microfracture), and now, a year and a half later, I can go for a jog, play tennis, climb stairs.. things I wasnt even close to before the OATS procedure. So I tell you this because I was discouraged too and thought it wasnt going to get better... but I went to see a cartilage expert (Dr. Cole in Chicago) and he thought he could help me. OATs may not be for you, there are other procedures, like ACI.... but i do think you should look into them if you are in a lot of pain after some time recovering from the microfracture...just want to encourage you and let you know there are more options out there. I wish you the best of luck!
madel23
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by madel23 »

Hey Nicole,

Did your mfx fail in the sense that the fibrocartilage did not fill in the defect? Or was it just based on pain? I am wondering, because I had mfx 6+ months ago, and an MRI shows that the defect filled in for the most part, yet I still have severe pain. I am going to Chicago in October and have a consult scheduled with Dr. Cole at that time. Hopefully he will have some insight.
mouk786
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by mouk786 »

I agree that this site can be very negative, when I saw my OS he was just like 'yea I'll microfracture it, no problem' not really an inkling of pain etc that people on here have reported - we talked more about my ACL.

How long is MF expected to last? i dont really see the point if its only for a few years - surely you are better trying for something more permanent to start with?
mcdirt
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by mcdirt »

This is Hugh... approaching the third anniversary of my microfracture surgery. I am pleased to report that the fix continues to be successful. My microfracture repaired knee gives me little trouble, even playing occasional singles tennis. The times my knees do tend to hurt can usually be traced back to my own inactivity...failing to do strengthening exercises or weeks where I'm not able to work out. I am thankful for the success, and pleased with the outcome.
Saints21
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Saints21 »

Hi mcdirt

Although I am very happy to hear you are doing VERY well, I am a little skeptical of jogging and playing tenniis 12 weeks after the surgery (thats 3 months right?)

I was NWB for 2 MONTHS!!!! horrible I know, but I think it was worth it. I think my addiction to videogames helped me there! haha

I am 4 months and 1 week post op and I still aint running... not because I cant, because I am in no hurry.... try to go for long walks first before jogging.

Like ive seaid in another post, I am practicing with my team for the upcoming season (flag football) but very liimited, some skeleton drills and throwing routes, my pocket movement is very limited (i play qb) but i can move sideways with no problems.. no dropping back yet.

The good news is that there is no swelling and no pain after practice...

It is important to note that my lesion was lateral, not weight bearing.. but even still ... my advice would be to take it easy one more month :)

Return to “CARTILAGE REPAIR - Marrow stimulation techniques (eg microfracture, abrasion arthroplasty)”