PRETTY MUCH BESIDE MYSELF???

Rheumatoid arthritis, juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, Still's disease - types of arthritis where usually many joints are affected and patients are often quite ill.
LJN521
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

PRETTY MUCH BESIDE MYSELF???

Post by LJN521 »

HERE WE GO, ACL/ALOGRAPH AND MENISCOUS DOUBLE BUCKET HANDLE TEAR SURGERY 2007. POST OP TO 2009 STILL VERY PAINFUL AND TAKING NORCO AROUND 6 PER DAY . HAD ARTHROSCOPY IN 2009 TO SEE CAUSE OF PAIN. WAS TOLD I HAD DEVELOPED OSTEO ARTHRITIS AND CONDULMALASIA PATELLA WITH 80 PERCENT GONE IN 2009. STILL WORKING FULL TIME AS MECHANIC AND STILL HAVE TO TAKE SAME AMOUNT OF PAIN MEDS. PAIN IS SHARP AROUND THE OUTSIDE OF KNEE MOSTLY WHEN UNDR LOAD. ALSO HURTS SOMETIMES IN THE JOINT AROUND CENTER TOO. RECENTLY, TOLD BY ORTHO HE CAN NO LONGER TREAT OR PRESCRIBE MEDS AND NEEDED TO SEE MY PCP. PCP PUT ME THROUGH THE RINGER TO SAY THE LEAST. MADE ME SIGN A PAIN MANAGEMENT CONTRACT AND CUT NORCO IN HALF AND STARTED ME ON A NERVE PAIN RELIEVER WITH MORE SIDE AFFECTS THAN ANYTHING OVE EVER SEEN. ONLYSECOND DAY BUT DONT FEEL RELIEF AT ALL IT JUST MAKES ME FEEL FOGGY AND SLIGHTLY BLURRY VISION. THE MEDICINE IS 300MG 3X PER DAY. IT IS GABAPENTIN OR NEURONTIN. I HAVE FILED A COMPLAINT WITH THE OFFICE AS HE ALSO MADE ME TAKE A DRUG SCREEN PRIOR TO GETTING THE NORCO. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO ANY LONGER? WONDERING IF ANYONE ELSE IS ON THIS MEDICATION OR LOOKING FOR SUGGESTIONS TOO. SOGNED VERY FRUSTRATED TO SAY THE LEAST. OH YEAH MY OS SENT AN EMAIL TO THE PCP LETTTING HIM KNOW THAT IM TOO YOUNG FOR TKR AND THAT PAIN MEDS ARE THE ONLY RELIEF UNTIL SURGERY. I ALSO HAVE HAD CORTISONE SHOTS WHICH ONLY WORKED FOR 1-3 WEEKS AT A TIME. PLEASE HELP.. REGARDS, LARRY
knee2no
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: PRETTY MUCH BESIDE MYSELF???

Post by knee2no »

Larry , how old are you? Have you consulted with a 2nd, 3rd or 4th orthopedic surgeon? While a TKR is not ideal, neither is a lifetime of taking pain meds. Is your pain only when bearing weight?
I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug.

I will not be ashamed to say "I know not", nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of another are needed.
LJN521
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Re: PRETTY MUCH BESIDE MYSELF???

Post by LJN521 »

knee2no, thanks for you reply. I am going to be 44 this year september. the majority of the pain is when bearing weight. however, depending on how much ive been on it will also cause pain when resting or sometime normal walking on flat surfaces. when bearing weight, while climbing stairs,ladders or in and out of equipment such as scissor lifts and boom lifts etc... this is when it is most painful. and kneeling can bedone but very uncomfortable and even out of the question sometimes. I have had 2 orthopedic opinions and a skeletal / muscle doctor and now basically fighting my primary doctor now. again, thanks for you time.

Return to “Rheumatoid Arthritis (and its variants)”