PFJR Surgeon?

Replacing medial, lateral or patello-femoral compartments in isolation
wingedfeet
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

PFJR Surgeon?

Post by wingedfeet »

Looking into a PFJR. Trying to sort out who the best surgeon is to do it. How did you make your decision? If you could go to anyone in the country, who would you go to?

Also, I'm 39 and I'm hoping this may last at least 10 years. What are the latest projections on that? I had one surgeon in Houston tell me he'd never had one loosen or fail and he would expect it to last a lifetime.
10/13 Traumatic patella dislocation with huge chondral defect
10/13 Denovo graft and MPFL repair
KW
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Re: PFJR Surgeon?

Post by KW »

I have had both knees done and they are amazing. Left done in 2009 and right done in 2012. Most people would have no idea I had anything done if I did mention it.

I was referred to my surgeon by a local OS who had done everything possible and knew the PFJR was the best option. I'm fortunate to live just outside Philadelphia and have access to some of the best teaching hospitals in the country. At my first visit there was no rushing, every document brought was reviewed and discussed. I was comfortable with the OS and decision after that was easy. I knew I was in good hands.

Best of luck!
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed
wingedfeet
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by wingedfeet »

Thank you KW! Really appreciate the feedback. Would you mind if I asked how old you were when you had your first one? Thanks.
dal_knee
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by dal_knee »

wingedfeet,

Just curious on an update from you.
2007 - partial medial meniscectomy
2010 - full thickness chondral defect & adjacent subchondral edema MFC.   Direct result of stupid partial mensicectomy from 2007.
2014 - Subchondroplasty, chondroplasty, unauthorized 2nd partial medial meniscectomy.
2015 - partial failure of subchondroplasty.
wingedfeet
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by wingedfeet »

Hi dal_knee,

Thanks for asking! I have gotten a few opinions now. I went to HSS last week - had an MRI and a consult with a true expert. My trochlea is still in good shape, so I've gotten a couple of recommendations now to try an osteochondral allograft with a conservative osteotomy. I don't truly have an alignment issue and my defect is central/medial, so the osteotomy doesn't promise major improvement. They don't recommend a PFJR just yet. I am considering just living with it and letting the knee wear out. I'm so intimidated by the OATS/osteotomy and the potential of failure that I'm paralyzed to make a decision. My limitations are consistent, but the pain is intermittent. Not sure what to do.
dal_knee
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by dal_knee »

Thanks for updating. Have you thought about consulting with Dr Broyles? I don't have any pearls of wisdom here since I'm not familiar with MPFL surgery, and I don't know if he is seeing success in the case of prior ligament surgery. But just trying to offer up any thoughts.
2007 - partial medial meniscectomy
2010 - full thickness chondral defect & adjacent subchondral edema MFC.   Direct result of stupid partial mensicectomy from 2007.
2014 - Subchondroplasty, chondroplasty, unauthorized 2nd partial medial meniscectomy.
2015 - partial failure of subchondroplasty.

Return to “KNEE ARTHRITIS - Unicompartmental knee replacement”