OWHTO 2006 - Now in pain

General discussions
kneeyorkshirelass
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

OWHTO 2006 - Now in pain

Post by kneeyorkshirelass »

So, I am 43 yrs old, female and in 2006 had an OWHTO which proved successful. A couple of years back I experienced severe pain in the knee and attending the hospital where it was checked and all seemed fine so I decided that maybe some slight weight gain was causing the issue and I duly lost the weight I had gained.... Recently it is happening again and this time the pain is just continuous.... night and day, applying heat seems to help and it is limiting my ability to exercise..... I am reluctant to visit the hospital/GP this time until I have exhausted the possibility of again, slight weight gain causing the issue, so I intend 1) to change my diet and 2) increase moderate exercise (Swimming) to try and control/reduce the pain .... is there anyone out there who has experienced similar? or who is approaching their 10 year OWHTO anniversary and how are they finding it?
vickster
Administrator
Administrator

Re: OWHTO 2006 - Now in pain

Post by vickster »

Not been through the same but personally, I'd go see the surgeon. An HTO isn't really a permanent fix, more to stave off the need for replacement for a few years., it's probably worth getting examined, xray etc if the pain is continuous and doesn't resolve with pain meds. Weight loss and swimming probably a good idea assuming you are using the NHS and will have to wait a bit anyhow. Also try some of the physio exercises you've done in the past to get all those muscles working properly and supporting/stabilising the knee, you could also pay to see a physio? There's no point suffering if you can access healthcare

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone
kneeyorkshirelass
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by kneeyorkshirelass »

I lost half stone since post and back to normal ! :) I've increased my intake of veg too and walking each day. Thanks for your reply tho ! Might get some more years out of it yet!!!!
julioalmeda219
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by julioalmeda219 »

Have you tried with changing diet? I want to know because I don't know what to do. Thanks in advance
Last edited by julioalmeda219 on Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New here

Return to “KNEE ARTHRITIS - General principles of managing Osteoarthritis of the knee”