after microfracture 9 weeks what next

Abrasion arthroplasty, drilling, carbon fibre rods, bone graft substitutes, microfracture
minka
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

after microfracture 9 weeks what next

Post by minka »

been doing all my exersises but since microfracture on inside of knee size 2cm im now getting swelling at the bottom left of the knee and it feels like hard stuff under the knee cap with pattela dosnt seem to be tracking right
anyone experienced this i can get the bend but no matter what i do on exersise bike and quad and vmo i cant seem to get away from this sort of trying to jam when walking even on me crutches im 9 weeks out of opperation now and its worse than before at least i could get upstairs on it.
jackson7
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: after microfracture 9 weeks what next

Post by jackson7 »

Which knee is it? By "jam" I'm guessing you mean kneecap gets stuck. I didn't have full microfx, but had a tracking problem and, agree, it's painful and scary. It probably has to do with your quads shutting down...and maybe in combination with the scar tissue bump left from the scope.

My therapist was able to make my patella start tracking properly with a combo of McConnel tapeing and "quad sets" exercises. Took about a month of keeping the tape on (even sleeping), daily quad sets and the scope swelling site to go shrink some before my patella started staying in the groove. I havent taped it for a few weeks now and my kneecap is still tracking on it's own.
12/2015: slow speed bicycle crash
1/16: many x-rays & 2 MRIs only show tendinosis
3/16: bone scan shows uptake in all compartments
8/16: cortisone jab (no effect)
3/17: diag scope (part med meniscectomy, med fem chondroplasty, full synovectomy)
4/18: Pain finally diminishing. 65% function.
minka
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by minka »

hi jackson which is my last name to its the left knee
what size microfracture had you
feels like im walking lob sided to the better leg but im using crutches light load on it been doing my quad exersises and vmo but its like someone giving me a knife jab when i walk or try to put load on it
never new the other leg would start having an ache also because of gate probably
it was moles better before opperation now its gone worse i
i thought i was doing better getting swelling down but its like a dried up thing under their now.
i wuld not advice anyone to have microfracture not at 66 years old like i am especialy when i didnt ask for microfracture on it
i can get full bend but even with all the exersises and stationery bike its not easing it any
just feels like hard tissue and not tracking which was not a problem before.
rob43
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by rob43 »

I had a microfracture 1.5cm by 1.1cm 4 years ago it took about 12 months before it started to settle never been right since but it's doing the job
jackson7
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by jackson7 »

I had "chondroplasty" on a 1.5cm area. Yes, it hurts like absolute hell (10 out of 10 pain) if i twist just so. Doc said it could take 8 months or more for some new (weaker) cartilage to fill back in anf possibly diminish the stabbing pain. In the meantime, the pain is continuing to shut down my quads and vmo, so i can't build them back up enough to quit walking like a drunken sailor (fortunately, i was able to strengthen just enough to get my patella un-stuck).

I'm starting glucosamine pills today...just in case they help(?). There's also a cartilage promoting diet out there, but i haven't scanned the net for it yet.

From what i gather, microfracture is a much more advanced version of chondroplasty than what i got.
Last edited by jackson7 on Tue May 23, 2017 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
12/2015: slow speed bicycle crash
1/16: many x-rays & 2 MRIs only show tendinosis
3/16: bone scan shows uptake in all compartments
8/16: cortisone jab (no effect)
3/17: diag scope (part med meniscectomy, med fem chondroplasty, full synovectomy)
4/18: Pain finally diminishing. 65% function.
rob43
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by rob43 »

I had same problem at the start I couldn't lift the weights to strengthen the muscle becasue the pain would make my leg drop the weight it took if memory serves me around a year and continued to improve up to 2 years after
minka
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by minka »

rob jackson 7 thanks for the reply
did yours feel like you had one leg shorter than the other ie best leg feeling shorter
mines getting me in the groin on best side and the patela dosnt feel like its tracking proper feels like i have no bearing pad on the inside of the knee and i get a right old jabbing pain at the bottom of the knee cap stings like hell like somthing is trapping their
I have also had my ankle sore on the inside
no matter how much exersise i do it seems to get worse
Does anyone know if when you have a microfracture 2cm square on medial crondial if the thing keeps growing to fill in the space or is it that after about 8 months its formed itself/
I DONT KNOW THE ANSWERE TO THIS AND NO ONE HAS TOLD ME THIS.
But im realy pleased for the replies
ps im still having to use my crutches cant do one crutch yet. at 10 weeks out
rob43
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by rob43 »

Mine was 1.5 by 1.1 cm I had a limp foe sometime and was very frustrated becasue of the pain I lost a lot of muscle and even now it's never the same but it does the job
Keep positive 10 weeks isn't long your not going to see really until 6 months or longer before your know how much your going to improve
minka
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by minka »

rob did this start to hurt your back and foot at all cos mine does when i over do it trying to walk even get some groin pain
rob43
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by rob43 »

The back yes but that's becasue your not walking properly I know it's not easy to be patient I was always moaning at the physio to say it hasn't worked I'm sure not every one is the same but it does take up to a year to settle
vickster
Administrator
Administrator

Post by vickster »

You need the physio to fully assess your gait and help you with a programme of exercises to correct it. Make sure they check your feet and ankles fully too, you may need orthotics to correct over/under pronation etc
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Return to “CARTILAGE REPAIR - Marrow stimulation techniques (eg microfracture, abrasion arthroplasty)”