Huge price difference between clinics which do steroid injections

General discussions
Coffee
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Huge price difference between clinics which do steroid injections

Post by Coffee »

Hello all,.
I was going to get a steroid injection done, and I'm a bit tight on money so I was comparing prices

One that recommended to me does steroid injection for £575.00

While another ive found does it for £250

Reason I ask this is because I’m wondering if the lower priced one could be of poor quality, or do steroid injection clinics have strict rules\ regulations in uk, meaning all clinics would be of acceptable standard?
vickster
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Huge price difference between clinics which do steroid injections

Post by vickster »

Are you already under an orthopaedic surgeon? If not, you’ll likely have to pay for a consultation first to confirm that the treatment is appropriate.
You can get steroid injections on the NHS, have you spoken to your GP? Some GP surgeries offer, otherwise you’ll need to get onto the hospital referral. To go private you’ll likely need a referral anyhow. I’d be wary of any doctor offering steroid without thorough examination and imaging. It’s not a benign treatment as it can damage cartilage and tendons. Many orthopaedic surgeons on,y now offer for inflammation and swelling in more advanced arthritis.
What’s your actual diagnosis? What treatment have you had to date?

I’m not familiar with private steroid clinics, but rather private hospitals with clinicians that offer? Whereabouts in the UK are you?

Return to “KNEE ARTHRITIS - General principles of managing Osteoarthritis of the knee”