High tibial osteotomy prior to cruciate repair

Cruciate repair, allograft, autograft, synthetic ligaments. Ligament braces.
amazonia
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

High tibial osteotomy prior to cruciate repair

Post by amazonia »

Hello,

I've posted a couple of times regarding the complete tears to my ACL/PCL/and PLC, in which they were repaired as best as they could last January. Since then I've been waiting for reconstructive surgery, but knew a high tibial osteotomy might also be required due to my tibial mal-alignment. I had the osteotomy last Thursday, and am now at home starting recovery, before facing reconstructive surgery in the Spring' 03. The osteotomy was done using bone graft from my hip, which in itself is darn painful. Has anyone else had a high tibial osteotomy done as a procedure prior to reconstructive surgery? I'm now non-weight bearing for the next 2 months, and will then have to face reconstructive surgery for the PLC (using hamstring tendon) and PLC using an allograft. Any replies would be welcome, as I'm feeling I'm out there all alone with this injury!

Thanks
Last edited by amazonia on Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan. '02 - complete tears of the ACL/PCL and PLC - emergency surgery to repair them;  high tibial osteotomy Dec 5 '02; May 22nd 2003 reconstructive PCL (allograft) and PLC (hamstring tendon).  No ACL reconstruction as I retore it 3 weeks prior to surgery.  No ACL/ loose knee but little pain!
Shazinoz
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Re: anyone else had similiar procedures?

Post by Shazinoz »

I cna't help you with that type of injury but I have had the ACL done twice and am currently trying to find out what I have done ths time :) it could be my ACL again, my PCL or even the MCL who knows or a meniscus. AS to the osteotomy, there are people here who had had those done, not sure is a prlude to reco though, and there are other with mutligament injuried too, but not sure if they have had osteotomy's.
You are alone I am positive, and you can talk to me if you like :) I am just a lowly ACL sufferer (for the possible 3rd time ::)), initllay MCL with the 1st injury and possibly again.
Good luck and keep in touch I am sure that the others are here or will be soon, i am sure someone can help and relate fully.
Seer the posts under cruciate ligaments called
Complex instability of the knee and
Multiligament orthopaedic experts? and
Re: PCL Reconstruction - weblink,
PCL and lateral corner injuries,
ACLs PCLs LCLs braces crutches *&%$!!
(you will have to go back on the pages (click on pages 2 and 3 under the listings to find these posts).
Hope some of these help.
Also try doing a search (the search icon is in the header block and searching for multiligament injuries and see what comes up (I suggest trying 30 to 60 days of posts to start with).

Hope this helps.
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++
Netty
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by Netty »

Hi, my injuries are about the same as Sharinoz's and I think most of us know how you feel at the moment. It's hard being laid up and relying on people to do the simplest tasks. Its also hard waiting to see if the surgery was a success or not. The hours drag by and its hard to sleep but it does improve slowly. In a week or a month from now you wont remember just how much pain you are in right now. Just sit back and enjoy the attention you get and if all else fails you have all of us here to talk to. You can tell us how good you're going or you can rant and rave or even cry. There will always be someone here thats ready to give you a good dose of cheering up and encouragement. Take care, Netty
Broke the cruciate and damaged the medial and lateral ligs playing softball.Hammy ACl recon Feb 2000(failed).Hammy ACL recon Aug 01(failed).Medial repair and Lateral loop Dec 01(failed).Still unstable
amazonia
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by amazonia »

Thank you both for your replies and support....and since you're both faithful readers here, I appreciate what you said. This injury originally happened on Jan. 20 '02 when I was bucked off a horse, and I figure by the time all the surgery and recovery is over it'll be 2 years time. I'm obviously off work again, and don't know if I'll be able to go back between these 2 surgeries, or if I'll be gone from work for 5+ months. That alone is hard to handle, not to mention the pain, rehab and total change in my abilities. It's been quite a year! When the first surgeon saw me he said it was the worst knee injury he'd ever seen (and he's one of the Dr's for our pro hockey team)....and through this site and others I've never come across someone else with this type of injury. However, whether your injury is similar or not, I really do appreciate the contact!
Anne
Jan. '02 - complete tears of the ACL/PCL and PLC - emergency surgery to repair them;  high tibial osteotomy Dec 5 '02; May 22nd 2003 reconstructive PCL (allograft) and PLC (hamstring tendon).  No ACL reconstruction as I retore it 3 weeks prior to surgery.  No ACL/ loose knee but little pain!
reza
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Re: ACL, PCL, PLC, osteotomy and reconstructions?

Post by reza »

Hi Dear Anne,
I think we have a similar problem, and you are not alone :) . I had an accident 6 months ago.I was injured hardly (my Speelen and my knee). I had multi ligamet injury and also I have bow leg (Genu varum). I had 4 surgery until now (2 debridment- 1 skin graft - 1 MCL repair ) after last surgery,I was in cast about 7 weeks. Now I have passed 50 session of P.T. and can walk with a little pain.My OS said that I should have another surgery for bow leg (Osteotomy) then a surgery for repairing ligaments. I visit another OS and he said First Its better for me to repair my injured ligaments then if required, a sergury for Genu varum (tibial Osteotomy).
Now, I whould appreciate if you say me, why you did Osteotomy first and what is your reason or what is your OS opinions about that.
with best wishesh for you
reza

ACL,PCL,LCL,MCL,Lateral Meniscus Tearing (Left Knee) in a car accident
- I had a surgery to repair My MCL
- I have slight Genu varum
- I will do a surgery to reconstract my ACL, LCL and Meniscus

Return to “Cruciate ligaments”