Newbie with knee questions

Post here if you are new to the board and not sure where to post your question. Or if your question or comment is of a general nature. The KNEEguru may move it later to a more relevant section if necessary.
kernriver999
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Newbie with knee questions

Post by kernriver999 »

About 3 weeks ago,I wiped out in my kitchen. My right leg went straight out (like I was doing cheerleader splits...yeah, right!) and my left leg was crumbled underneath my body when I fell.

Now, 3 weeks later, I have a very painful knee. Looking down on my knee, the sore part is on the inside of my knee and is about 6 inches long, running from my lower thigh to my upper shin/calf area. I cannot straighter my knee out completely, nor can I bend it completely. It seems to be a little swollen in the area and is very sore to the touch. It gets very stiff when I've been sitting for even a short period of time and doesn't carry weight very well when I get up to walk away. In the morning, it's very sore,stiff and unable to carry weight.

Can anyone recognize what I have? Can you possibly tell me what I've injured in my knee? I'd feel a lot better if I knew the actual name of the area I've hurt. I haven't been to the doctor, but it's looking more and more like I'm headed in that direction.

Any infor will be greatly appreciated. Of course, I am not looking for medical advice, just knee information. Thanks in advance.
Linds
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Re: Newbie with knee questions

Post by Linds »

Hey,
I think you should see a doctor, that doesn't sound too good.

The part of your knee you are refering to would be the medial (inside of hte leg) aspect. You could have done any number of things. Do you find that the knee catches? You may have torn a meniscus (that's the cusions of cartilage between the long leg bone or femur and the lower leg bones, or Tibia and Fibula) If you have catching, or "locking" then you may have a torn meniscus. It could be many things though with a fall like that. I think your best bet would be to head to the docs.
GOODLUCK
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?
kernriver999
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by kernriver999 »

By "locking" do you mean that the knee locks in place? If so, then no, I don't have any locking. I guess I'll go to the doc this week. And if they order an MRI, do you have any idea if your entire body goes into the machine or just your knees? I also have a pretty bad case of claustrophobia and it's always been a nightmare of mine to have an MRI. Thanks.
UK_Girl_!
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by UK_Girl_! »

Hi
Definately go and see your GP to get referred to someone who knows about knees - a doc has only limited knowledge.

MRI - scanners - normally they would only put your leg in up to the thigh for doing a knee - it honestly is not bad at all - you will find reading a few threads that a lot of people here have found it quite relaxing - the machine is very noisy - banging and clunking - but you get headphones to wear and can either take your favourite cd with you or choose a radio station - then you just lay there listening and they give you updates through the headphones. It is all over pretty quickly. I know that in the UK if you have a problem with the scanner then they can sedate you - but honestly do not think you would need it.(think that is also if you need to go right inside it)

You will do great. Get to see the doc - an os would be able to tell a lot of things by testing your knee without an MRI scan.

good luck
anja
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/http ... ic.php?t=7  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)
kernriver999
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by kernriver999 »

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll post when I go to the doctor's. Thanks again.

Return to “GENERAL KNEE QUESTIONS and comments (good for new threads)”