Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon

Rupture of one of the major tendons attaching to the top or the bottom of the patella.
Tvh3382
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon

Post by Tvh3382 »

Tvh3382 wrote: It is now 15 weeks since my bilateral quadricep tendon rupture and now managing to walk with crutches outside (very small distance) and walk inside the house unaided although I do walk like a penguin. ROM in my knees is still not great with 73 degrees in left knee and 70 in right knee. It seems there is a brick wall in the way when I try to bend them further. Not back at work yet and still not allowed to go down steps. Can manage to climb a 4 inch step. Hope to have some actual hands on physio next week which may help to bend knees further. Bought a ankle cycle but not able to use it yet. Anyone else had difficulty in bending knees after 15 weeks?

An update. Been to see private physio today. Hopeful of near normal ROM in left knee although no guarantee , currently at 82 degrees. The right knee has been on 70 degrees ROM for 3 weeks and been told lots of scar tissue. Been advised that they can improve ROM with a lot of hands on physio but will not be able to get full ROM back and we will just need to see how far we can get it. Also advised surgery is not recommended as it is likely to cause more problems. NHS physio all but discharged me saying only make appointment when have got more ROM. if it wasn't for private physio this would not happen as knees need a lot of hand work done on them.
John42
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by John42 »

Hi TVH 3382

You are doing well at 15 weeks - PATIENCE and some more ROM will be reachable. Nest milestone is 90ROM, then 120ROM, anything over that is a bonus.

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.&nbsp; Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon
TurboCoder3000
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by TurboCoder3000 »

As of 6/6/2018, today is the first day since my injury on 8/28/2016 that I can walk at near normal speeds with my cane, almost without thinking about it even.

The improvement is huge. And my hard work is all paying off.

Finally.

Nope. Never going bowling again once I reach normal again.
DanD25
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by DanD25 »

Hey Everyone,

I know it's been a while, but I've been super busy. Dad had stage IV pancreatic cancer and ultimately passed away in April.

I've been doing outpatient PT for a few months now and they've been amazing. I have pretty much full function of the leg again. Steps are still a pain, but I just do them slowly. The knee gets stiff if I don't move it for a while, but I'd rather get some stiffness than lose use of the leg. For everyone just starting out, this injury SUCKS, it is painful, and there will be a lot of setbacks, but just know that it will get better with time and to just keep on doing your stretches/PT.
Gio.m
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by Gio.m »

People, anyone got any experience with Acuraflex capules or cream? I have severe pain in my wrist. I heard Acuraflex realy helps.. Thanks for any tips..
PEB65A
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by PEB65A »

Dan,

Sorry for your loss. Keep up the PT.

I also have not posted. Have been back to work early May. PT 2x week. plus a JAS brace to help with flexion at home. I am bending almost to 130, so the TTO surgery did what the DR said it would. Two weeks ago I had surgery to remove a suture that kept popping thru my incision for the last few months. While removing it, they did find a small amount of staff infection on the tissue around the suture. A 10 day course of antibiotics took care of that. Thankfully it was a quick procedure, with only a small incision, but I did have to go under for the 4th time in 17 months. Good news is I did not lose any of the flexibility I have gotten. I still

I had the stitches removed this week. Everything looks great. Continue working on your strength, and we will follow up in 4 more weeks.
Then he says, at that time we can discuss the pros and cons of a complete quad revision. The TTO was to allow me to regain flexion, but during that surgery they only stitched the quad together, which I knew. I knew the TTO post op was bend bend bend, and a quad revision is locked out for weeks.
I do have extension lag caused by the quad tear. So now I am working harder to see where I can get to in the next month, so when I go in for the consult, I will have gained as much strength and hopefully some of the muscle I have lost over this time.
I will have a lot of decisions to make in a month. Wish me luck.

Keep moving forward.
Jlguthrie
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by Jlguthrie »

Hey everyone, been awhile since posting as I'm back to work and trying to re acclimate to normal life. Just wanted to post something that's been very beneficial to me for all present and future readers. I finally achieved normal r.o.m. In about 5 months although still stiff, but strength was a struggle. I repeatedly asked my physio about ems ( Electro muscle stimulation). I was told it wouldn't help but ended up buying an $80 dollar unit(ireliev).My strength returned rapidly after using it for 30 minutes after my daily workout (body weight squats, straight leg lifts, step ups). At about three months in , they found a superficial m.r.s.a. infection at the incision site. They advised against using ems, but I needed to return to work to support my famiy so I rolled the dice and it definitely payed off by waking those muscles up, even though I had been going to p.t. regularly. Dan25, sorry for your loss brother, Peb,congrats on your success. For all future readers, work hard at recovery even though it will seem hopeless at time's, you can beat this.
TurboCoder3000
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by TurboCoder3000 »

Jlguthrie wrote: Hey everyone, been awhile since posting as I'm back to work and trying to re acclimate to normal life. Just wanted to post something that's been very beneficial to me for all present and future readers. I finally achieved normal r.o.m. In about 5 months although still stiff, but strength was a struggle. I repeatedly asked my physio about ems ( Electro muscle stimulation). I was told it wouldn't help but ended up buying an $80 dollar unit(ireliev).My strength returned rapidly after using it for 30 minutes after my daily workout (body weight squats, straight leg lifts, step ups). At about three months in , they found a superficial m.r.s.a. infection at the incision site. They advised against using ems, but I needed to return to work to support my famiy so I rolled the dice and it definitely payed off by waking those muscles up, even though I had been going to p.t. regularly. Dan25, sorry for your loss brother, Peb,congrats on your success. For all future readers, work hard at recovery even though it will seem hopeless at time's, you can beat this.
Wow. I am sorry to hear they didn't even consider EMS, even though it turned out to be a big help for you. Congrats!

Strength has been a struggle for me as well. I have finally reached being able to walk for shorter and longer distances without my cane. In fact, the past three days has finally seen me walking everywhere without my cane for the first time in the past 1 year and 10 months since my injury and subsequent surgery.

I can't believe it's finally here. Some semblance of normal at last.

TurboCoder3000
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by TurboCoder3000 »

Major milestone reached.

For the first time since this quadriceps tendon tear injury nightmare began on 8/28/2016, I have walked up to physical therapy without the use of my cane once.

I need to build more strength and regain more function, for sure. But I am getting there. Slowly but surely.

The past 6 days have been the first six days in a row since my injury that I have finally been walking everywhere without my cane. Make that 2 major milestones reached.

Still a lot more work to do.

TurboCoder3000
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by TurboCoder3000 »

Hi everyone!!!

As I continue to improve with my knee, I am returning to more of a normal life, so I have been a bit busy to visit here.

But, major milestones happening left and right finally:

Week of July 9th: Had to buy a new suit jacket for work for a surprise partner visit. I did a full mall trip entirely without using my cane. I'm carrying it, but it's per PT's orders only. It's more a formality at this point, and mostly an annoyance rather than a help. I was on my feet for more than an hour, and did not have to use my cane one bit.

Week of July 16th: For the first time since my surgery, yesterday, at work, I simply got up, and went around on my break to the other side of the building entirely without my cane. No carrying it. Getting braver and stronger every day here.

I hope everyone is doing well.
John42
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by John42 »

Hi TurboCoder3000

Carry on with the good work, yes, it always turns out good in the end. As long that you don`t expect a 100% recovery, but as near as possible - watch out for uneven sidewalks, puddles and wet roads. Keep reporting as it gives us the good feeling.

Best/ JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon
Robert1
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Deleted

Post by Robert1 »

Deleted
Last edited by Robert1 on Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
John42
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by John42 »

Hi RobertI

Welcome to the RPT webpage - you have sustained a rare injury, with a long rehab.

Stage one - you have done well to read some of the previous posts on this thread - Which city do you live as you might find a buddy who has gone through a similar trauma.
Keep asking questions, keep posting.

Take care
JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon
TurboCoder3000
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by TurboCoder3000 »

After 1 year, 11 months of near-daily PT, on top of regular PT appointments, I walked up to my PT appointment yesterday afternoon for the first time entirely without my cane. Entirely without any assistance whatsoever.

The front desk lady was like "No cane! Impressive." All of the PTs I worked with (including my current one) were all impressed.

It sure feels good. I have been walking everywhere without my cane since Tuesday. My cane last touched the ground on 6/28, but still had to carry it per PT's orders. Now those orders are more relaxed since my...errr...demonstration.

Slowly but surely indeed. Still more strength to build to regain normal function for sure. But any weakness I feel now I can handle, without feeling like my knee is going to give way.

Major, major progress indeed.
TurboCoder3000
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by TurboCoder3000 »

Exciting news:

ROM continues to increase. From 85 last week to 96 degrees this week.

My strength and quantity of execution on all of my exercises continues to increase as well. PT is really excited about all of my improvements and accomplishments.

I am still walking entirely without my cane. 6/28/2018 is the last day that my cane touched the ground. And I gave it up entirely a couple weeks ago.

I still have a crutches-like center of gravity that needs to improve. This will normalize as I continue to regain strength and functionality. I am excited with these improvements and I look forward to returning to normal.

The biggest thing during last night's PT session: I am no longer locking my knee/hyper-extending my knee on the treadmill, and I am walking faster. YEAH!!

Return to “Ruptured patellar tendon or ruptured quadriceps tendon”