ANTERIOR INTERVAL RELEASE How Long pain at site???? help please

Adhesions, internal scarring, fat pad syndrome, infrapatellar contracture, patella infera (baja)
Shine
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

ANTERIOR INTERVAL RELEASE How Long pain at site???? help please

Post by Shine »

Hi,
I had an anterior interval release, along with scar tissue removal almost everywhere else, and a chondroplasty. I am 8 weeks post op. I am having pain and throbbing at the site of the anterior interval release. It occurs when I am sitting at 90 degrees, with every step I take when i walk(I just started bearing weight 2 weeks ago) and sometimes at rest. It is still tender to the touch. I had the surgery with Dr. Steadman, so I know the surgery was done right. For those of you that have been through an anterior interval release how long did you have pain at the site? And is this normal?

Thanks,
Summer
EdD
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: ANTERIOR INTERVAL RELEASE How Long pain at site???? help please

Post by EdD »

I think it depends on how much scar tissue you had.

I know in my case, because my patellar tendon was debrided extensively in an effort to eliminate the patella baja/infera, that any weight-bearing caused a bad flare of swelling and pain. It was over 5 weeks before I could weight bear in a significant way, and I really limited this to the amount of walking it took to get to PT and maybe go grocery shopping.

Dr. S. said he expected me to have sharp pain in the patellar tendon region for 10-12 weeks after my surgery, because he was so aggressive in debriding the tendon. So I would think that would be at least a number to go by--3 months from your most recent surgery. I don't think I can stress enough how very limited I was for several months post-op.
1/23/2006 tore the ACL, MCL, meniscus, femoral nerve while  skiing
1/30/2006 ACL reconstruction hamstring graft, meniscus repair at Vail
4/2007 femoral nerve damage diagnosed
8/1/2007 LOA/MUA at Vail "severe arthrofibrosis"
Shine
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by Shine »

Thanks Ed! Its good to get some feedback. This whole scar tissue thing is scary and it is nice to get feedback from others that have been through this. I can feel a little bit of scar tissue that has grown back in the patella tendon region, but I think its the actual surgery part that is hurting because it is still tender to the touch. I should have asked Dr. Steadman at my last visit, but hadn't started to weightbear then so was not having this problem. Hope your knee is doing well. -Summer
Shine
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by Shine »

Hi Ed,
I just saw Dr. Steady's former fellow out here in California. He is giving me the Synvisc injection series for Dr. S, so I don't have to stay out in Vail for 3 weeks. I talked to him about the anterior interval release, and he said that when they do this they do alot of work on the area so it may hurt from anywhere from 3-4 months. I wanted to say thanks for putting all the success stories together. It has really helped me with this whole process, especially since I am at the beginning still (2 months post-op) I know I have along road ahead, but there is hope cause so many others on the site have gotten through it. Take Care, Summer

Return to “Soft Tissue Healing Problems - Arthrofibrosis”