Lateral Meniscal Cyst but MRI shows no tear...help or advice please ?!?!?!

Tears, trimming, meniscectomy, meniscal repair, meniscal transplant, synthetic menisci, meniscal cyst
Shon
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Lateral Meniscal Cyst but MRI shows no tear...help or advice please ?!?!?!

Post by Shon »

Hi there, I am new to this website..

Please can anyone advise me?

I have had a hard lump/swelling above the outer knee cap which seems to change size and form when i bend or flex my leg.

I saw my GP who said striaght away that I had torn my cartilage. I also spoke to my shoulder surgeon who also said it was my cartliage.

I was referred a couple of weeks ago and had my MRI, saw the lower limb ortho surgeon who said that the cartilage and ligaments all look fine...though he stands that i have a meniscal cyst which is attached to cartilage. (lateral)

I am under the impression that you generally get a meniscal cyst if you have torn the meniscus? Is this so or can it happen without a tear and if so why? has anyone had an MRI that has missed their tear?

I am limping around, unable to drive for more than a few minutes and experiencing locking, twinges, burning and generally feel awful. My surgeon has told me to come back in 2 months and if it is still there then he will look at doing something. He has also referred to physio....which by the way, the more i move my leg, the more it seems to swell or enlarge.

Any advice would be gratefully received and may stop me think i am going insane!
I have no idea how I have managed to obtain a cyst. I noticed it in mid February and its progressively got bigger....... I just don;t know what to do!!! :(

Thank you !
Last edited by Shon on Fri May 02, 2008 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nettan
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Re: Lateral Meniscal Cyst but MRI shows no tear...help or advice please ?!?!?!

Post by Nettan »

I would call back or get a second opinion. Normally if this is a meniscal cyst that comes from a tear in meniscus, mostly a horizontal cleavage tear.
Not all damages is seen on an Mri..I have had tears missed by Mri. Sometimes also can depend on who reads the Mri.
Meanwhile try to elevate the knee above heart and ice.
The cyst will not go away unless the tear is taken care of.
Last edited by Nettan on Fri May 02, 2008 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.
Shon
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Re: Lateral Meniscal Cyst but MRI shows no tear...help or advice please ?!?!?!

Post by Shon »

Thank you for your reply Nattan.
I am too convinced that there is something more going on .. I have asked for the Radiologist report to be sent to my doctor as i understand that it was the os who read my MRI quickly on Wednesday not the full report. I am seeing my GP on Wednesday next week to have a bit of a whinge and to see if they can help me....
I have had the lump since 15th Feb or so and it is showing no signs of going so I cannot understand why he is making me wait another 2 months for it to go down? Maybe it will or maybe it will pop and i don't want that.
I am no stranger to surgery with 4 ops in 2 years to my shoulder so you know when your body just isn't right....!!

Thank you for reassuring me that I should stick to my guns and go back asap..

Shon
Last edited by Shon on Fri May 02, 2008 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Meniscus”