glucosamine and chondroitin supplements

General questions about exercises, stretching, gaining range of motion, handling pain and swelling.Also braces, mobility aids, sleeping aids, shoes.
franatforty
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

glucosamine and chondroitin supplements

Post by franatforty »

Have just had acl reconstruction seven days ago. Am getting through the pain ok but finding it really hard to bend my knee anything above 20 degrees. Is this normal?? I have no problem in straightening my leg. Also, I read somewhere on this site that it is not advisable for acl recon patients to take glucosamine and chondroitin supplements - is this correct?
primetime
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Re: glucosamine and chondroitin supplements

Post by primetime »

I can't speak specifically to ACL surgery, but having had a few other surgeries and patella tracking issues, I've found that a fish oil supplement (Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids) have been very helpful. I actually began taking them just as a dietary supplement, so any help with my knees is a complete coincidence, but I have noticed that my knee joints have been a little less achy since I started using that supplement.

At the advice of a previous OS, I took a Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplement, combined with a mutli vitamin for about a year. I have to be honest, I didn't notice any great improvement but I've read in several places that everyone reacts differently to the supplement. Also, there are 2 different types of glucosamine, glucosamine HCL and glucosamine sulfate. I've read that people have success with one type but no luck with the other type.

I think the best suggestion is just o give it a try. It can't hurt you and most Glucosamine supplements are realtively inexpensive for a month's worth. Hopefully this info helps......good luck!!
12/99 - RK chondroplasty
4/06 - RK chondroplasty, fat pad excision, medial plica removal
6/07-LK chondroplasty, plica removal

Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail.
     &nbsp; - Ralph Waldo Emerson
franatforty
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by franatforty »

Thanks for your reply. I wil give it a go - i cant imagine it would be harmful.

Just icing knee and had first physio which did not go great as he said I had lost too much quad strength. I had trouble with my quad being pinched by the drain in my thigh which really hampered my exercises immediately after the op. I am 14 days post acl op now and not bending knee well.

anyway... keeping at the exercises..
jathib
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by jathib »

It won't be harmful to anything but your wallet. It's not going to help your knee bend for sure. Rehab is the only thing that will help that.
VA_Hiker
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by VA_Hiker »

I take Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplements daily...and have been for awhile. I believe that it helps so I continue to take them. One thing that I have heard is that you usually have to take it for 2 months before you see any results - I believe the triple strength may work a tad faster but I am not sure. One other thing that my OS told me was to make sure the strength is at least 500/400(mg each per pill)

Hope that helps and I agree with the earlier post to give it a try.
Circa 1977 - ACL & medial meniscus tears
1977 - 1983 - multiple re-injuries
1983 - 2008 - multiple visits to docs
Aug 2008 - MRI (tri-compartmental degenerative changes, meniscus tear, ACL tear, arthritis)
25 Sep 2008 - scope & clean up (no ACL recon)
Current - rehab

Return to “General rehab issues and pain problems”