MENISCUS TRANSPLANT - SOCCER/FOOTBALL

Tears, trimming, meniscectomy, meniscal repair, meniscal transplant, synthetic menisci, meniscal cyst
Striker
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

MENISCUS TRANSPLANT - SOCCER/FOOTBALL

Post by Striker »

Hello Everyone,

Is it possible to return to playing soccer/football after a Meniscal Transplant (eg Lateral Meniscus of my right knee)?

I've had quite a few things surgically sorted in my right knee, but there is still a persistent pain on the lateral side of it!

X Rays / MRI Scans show that it's all due to a lack of Lateral Meniscus and Bone Odema.

I'm hoping to get the meniscus transplant done, then buy a CTi2 Knee Brace to carry on playing my sport?

Cheers

Striker
Right Knee: ACL Rec 2002, Partial Menisectomy Lateral Mensci (Three times) 2003 2004 2005, LCL and Posteolateral capsule recon with ACI Articular Cartlidge Repair Jan 2007 Lateral Meniscal Transplant Nov 2008...BUT I NEED SOCCER TO BREATHE!
jathib
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Re: MENISCUS TRANSPLANT - SOCCER/FOOTBALL

Post by jathib »

Anything's possible but you'll really need to discuss it all with your doctor. First you have to find out for sure if you're even a candidate. Not everyone can have a transplant. Then you have to prepare for the possibility of the surgery failing. I think transplants still have a high failure rate.
robbiepapenfus
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by robbiepapenfus »

Can you consider a CMI Implant?
Lateral menisectomy (complex tear) of left knee- 1 Nov 2005
Pain when straightening my leg (left knee) - Jan 2006
Lateral menisectomy and cleaning of knee debris of left knee- July 2006
CMI Implant - 17 November 2007
Sarah-Jayne_Copp
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by Sarah-Jayne_Copp »

Hi Striker,

I too am considering a meniscal transplant. I have spent most of my spare time researching it for details of success in returning to sport. I played Netball semi-professionally before going to seek help with persistant knee pain. Long story involving four O/S' several scans and two meniscotomies I am now left with the desicion to have a transplant. I think it is too big a step to take until you are sure of the honest risks and chances of returning to your old sporting habits.

In my research I have found that there appear to be many successes particularly in football with the transplant operation. I imagine this doesn't have as much to do with football as with the opportunities provided to a well funded sport. The only problem is that it really ultimately comes down to you as an individual and the state your knee is in. Like Jathib said, are you aware yet whether or not you are an approved candidate?!

I fortunately have been approved this surgery but although I understand it should not be a case of how old you are I have just turned 21 and the reason I have been approved is because of my age and the length of life I have left to live in theory is too long to go with no cartilage, let alone to play sports.

The research has also thrown up a valid point of checking the health of your whole leg i.e. alignment, as they will be highly unlikely to proceed with surgery if you have malalignment. They would want to correct this first as it would be an obvious waste of cartilage and trauma to the knee if you are likely to tear it again.

So yeah, it all comes down to what your O/S says about your knee individually. Sorry if I have not been much help and just blabbed on but I found myself asking the same questions when the surgery was first proposed to me.

I am interested though in the knee brace you mentioned... who recommended it to you for this particular knee problem and where do you find it?!

Take care

S-J England
Striker
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Striker »

Hi

Thank you for your replies. Not considered CMI yet, will look into it.

I'm 32, and live to play football!

I run a law firm so I'm sitting down behind a desk ALL the time.

SJ

I'm thinking of getting my Men Transp Op done in Belgium. Who is doing yours? Have they said you can return to Net Ball after?

The CTi2 knee brace is the one brace i think would suit me and my sport from all the reading i've done on braces. Just my humble opinion.

How are you training your injured knee/ leg to maintain its muscle mass?

Cheers

Striker
Last edited by Striker on Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Right Knee: ACL Rec 2002, Partial Menisectomy Lateral Mensci (Three times) 2003 2004 2005, LCL and Posteolateral capsule recon with ACI Articular Cartlidge Repair Jan 2007 Lateral Meniscal Transplant Nov 2008...BUT I NEED SOCCER TO BREATHE!
JagJohal
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by JagJohal »

Striker can you tell me where you got your meniscus transplant done in Belgium please. Was it an allograft (donor tissue) or an implant of some sort? I would really appreciate a reply mate with as much detail as possible. Unfortunaltey time is running out in terms of me being able to have this operation.
Striker
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Striker »

Hi Jag

Sorry for the late reply, not been on site for a while.

I'm in discussions with a Professor Verdonk of Belgium regarding my Lateral Meniscal transplant surgery. Yes, it is an allograft op.

Hoping to have the op at end of this month, then see how rehab goes and then decide in 6 months whether to retire from footy all together and take on knitting!

Good Luck mate,

Striker
JagJohal
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by JagJohal »

Hey striker,

I am in discussions with Doctor Verdonk too. He is supposed to be pretty good. I am going to have a revised ACL, medial meniscus transplant and potentially an ACI. Could you tell me how much the ACI cost as this is the additional cost that I am not aware of. I would also appreciate it if you could tell me how you got to Belgium on the cheap and if you stayed over. I am looking to book a package holiday and stay over for a couple of days. It appears to be cheaper.

Cheers

Jag
Langers1759
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by Langers1759 »

Hi Striker

I've just had my first appointment with Dr Briggs in London and have my exploritory op booked in for this Sunday 9th Nov with a view to a ACI/MACI in January (finger crossed)
What stage are you up to have you gone to Belgium for the Op?
Just thought i'd speak to a fellow football lover. I played Semi-Pro in Bristol untill two years ago when i had my last failed op. Retiring aged 24 was the worst thing i've ever had to do. Just thought that would make you 32 yrs sound better!

Cheers
Chris.
Striker
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Striker »

Hi Chris

I've got my Meniscal transplant surgery in Belgium booked for Friday 21st, this week!

I feel more nervous than all the other operations becuase i really want this to be the last before my LONG awaited return to the game!

How did your op go on 9th Nov?

Hi Jag

Hope it all went well for you today mate, don't forget to update us all on your progress.

Cheers

Striker ;D
JagJohal
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by JagJohal »

Hello All,

Yeah I had my arthroscopy on 17th Nov. They took out the remaining medial mensiscus and I am going to schedule an appointment for my meniscal transplant. Still recovering a little from the arthrscopy and will wait a week or two before I go back for the big operation.

Striker: I hope you are recovering well mate. Let us know how it goes.

Jag
Striker
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Striker »

Hello Everyone

Just thought i'd update you. I had my Meniscal Transplant surgery on 21 Nov 2008 with Prof Verdonk in Belgium. Its been 3 weeks now and just had my staples taken out today at my GP surgery in England. Nurse said wound looks clean and is healing well!

Swelling has gone down pretty fast compared to my previous operations. Surgery Rehab notes say at 3 weeks 50% weight bearing with crutches is ok. So no kicking a ball yet!

Can any one suggest any upper body exercises whilst in bed, or any other type of bed ridden leg exercises that are useful at this stage, WITHOUT HARMING THE TRANSPLANT!

Cheers
Striker :)
Colin_Buckingham
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Colin_Buckingham »

glad its going well.

guess you could start doing some gentle straight leg raise lieing down in your bed.

are u in a brace? did they tell u to do knee swings to try an get ROM using your good leg to lift your bad leg back and forth while sitting on the end of your bed.

theres not too many exercies you can do at the 3 week point, just rest !

ACL reconstruction left knee March 2007
CMI implant left knee May 2008
Striker
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Striker »

Thanks Colin

I have been in a fixed brace full time (inc sleeping) for the last 3 weeks, im waiting for the Prof Verdonk to reply to my e mail requesting further info on do's and don'ts post op. eg can i let the wound get wet in the shower after 3 weeks? can i take off the fixed knee brace? when can i start to use the stationary bike etc?

That sounds like a good exercise, but no one has mentioned it to me before. i'll try it.

I agree 3 weeks is nothing, rest is the best thing at moment.

Cheers
Striker
Colin_Buckingham
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Colin_Buckingham »

lol aww I remember mine. I felt like a baby as my mum had to help wash me in my bed ! The best thing is when you can shower. Luckily we have a shower downstairs that was big enough for me to put a garden chair in. So I sat on the plastic chair and showered. Trust me your first one will be heavenly. I think my stitches came out around 2-3 weeks points? and I could shower. The stitches healed very well for me.

I also was locked straigt. I was told to adjust my brace to 60 degrees to allow for the assisted knee swings. But I tik you should check this out when you go in. Very surprised you got no physio or exercies to be honest.
ACL reconstruction left knee March 2007
CMI implant left knee May 2008

Return to “Meniscus”