16 year old with recurrent knee dislocation

Mal-tracking, lateral release, medial reefing, tibial tuberosity transfer, patellar arthritis, patellectomy, plica, patello-femoral braces. For patellar fractures, see Board on 'Bone Breaks around the knee'.
adlottis
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Re: 16 year old with recurrent knee dislocation

Post by adlottis »

I'm glad that all went well with your daughters surgery. I had meant to respond a few days ago when you asked about what kind of brace sh'd have, I had a bledsoe hinged brace. It was big and bulky on my leg for I am short. Once I stopped complaining about it and resigned myself to the fact I would be in the thing for 6 weeks it was okay. About going back to school, kind of have to check with OS regarding that. How long will she be on crutches? Is she WB? those all play factors into it, Also surgery just makes you tired. Is she staying in the hospital multiple days? Make sure she keeps that leg elevated, sitting up with the leg on some pillows is not enough, she needs to get it above the heart, I had inflammation really bad, I laid on the floor with my leg up on a chair for weeks. Ice Ice and Ice will be a great friend for her in the weeks to come.

Take care,
Annette
1976 first dislocation 10 years old
1980 14 yrs old LR, MR, remove chip bone
1980-2005 numerous dislocations
March 2007 Proximal/distal realignment, chondroplasty
July 2007 MUA
July 2008  synvisc
Sept 2008 patellar tendon tendonitis
June 2009 hardware removal, LR, debriedment
datapopp
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by datapopp »

It was an outpatient surgery...surprise, surprise. They sent her home after the surgery with a huge ace bandage, a grey leg immobilizer, and an IV in her knee joint with something similiar to novacaine...malocaine???. The cpm machine will arrive today. She is on crutches and an immobilizer for 4 weeks. She seems to be tolerating the pain okay...We got home at 5:00 and I gave her 2 percosets and another 2 - 4 hours later. She woke only to eat, go to the restroom and then she would go back to sleep. This morning she is in pain but bearable she is sitting up watching TV and reading a book.
FormerlyActive
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by FormerlyActive »

Glad to hear you have sorted things out. Kudos to you as a parent you really learned all about this, researched and got onto the right doctors, and were able to make a decision given multiple options. Isn't it funny how we need to make decisions almost based more on trust than on the technicalities of the surgery (which we can't perhaps fully understand). And then have surgery so quickly! Must be a record. Great great work.
Its really amazing everything they due to these medial structures now. It sounds like the medial reefing and the MPFL thing were to stabilize her kneecap?
Poor thing, let us know how she is doing. I really like those movies also, they are really incredible gymnasts as well as dancers.
Best healing wishes.
3/82 - Medial Synovial Plica removal both knees
9/89 - Lateral Release both knees
3/08 - Reinjury left knee hiking Asia Pac
5/08 - Miserable Malalignment diagnosis
4/08 - 9/08 Five doctors diff. opinions
7/08 - 02/09 - In PT, no chg.
4/09 - Dr. 6 opinion femur & tibia derotation together
3Diggersmom
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by 3Diggersmom »

So glad to hear the surgery is over and your daughter is on her way to recovery. I know after my son's it was scary, but a relief to have him home. I know keeping ice on the knee and keeping it elevated were definitely helpful in reducing the swelling. He had surgery on a Sat. and started PT on the following Tues. He is now going 2x/week, but is supposed to be doing ROM exercises 3x/day. Last night the PT noted he is going backwards in terms of recovery due to not doing his exercises at home. I hope her pain will subside quickly. It took about 5 days and then we turned the corner. I will be thinking and praying for her :) Keep us posted.
9/07 Subluxations of LK began-soccer
10/07 2nd sublux of LK-basketball
11/07 Arthro of LK to remove loose body
12/07 3rd sublux. of LK-bball
1/08-8/08 PT
8/17/08-violent sublux of RK, fract cartlg behind patella-bball
8/23/08-open surgery on RK, 3 screws, NWB 10wks, PT
11/11/08-2nd surgery scheduled
datapopp
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by datapopp »

3diggersmom - is your son still on crutches...is he back at school? Last night was hard she woke up at 2:30 crying because of th pain it was 5:00 AM before she fell back asleep. I had tried cutting back on the percoset to 1 every 4 hours yesterday because she was complaining about itching... big mistake on my part. Pain is back to being manageable today. 2 percoset every 6 hours seems to be working fairly well. She is also on a CPM machine at 30 degree flexion, anyone know when you increase the flexion?

Return to “The patello-femoral joint”