itb and si joint advice please

General questions about exercises, stretching, gaining range of motion, handling pain and swelling.Also braces, mobility aids, sleeping aids, shoes.
owen13
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

itb and si joint advice please

Post by owen13 »

hello all

anybody got any advice on an si joint problem possibly worsened by a tight itb
i also have weak inner thight muscles which dont help
can a tight itb and weak inner thighs cause the si joint and hips to be out of alignment?
this problem cause me to pull my medial hamstrings quite often even when walking they go very tight
does anyone know any stretches that will help this problem
i have been visiting a pt to get it mobilsed , but afetr paying xc2xa330 every 2 weeks for 9 months the cash is drying up
anybody?
TwoBadKneesUSA
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Re: itb and si joint advice please

Post by TwoBadKneesUSA »

Hi Owen,

I feel your pain literally! I have a mobile right hip from the quad and hip muscle weakness and limping around. Chances are good that your hip and glute muscles are a bit weak too. I've been doing SLRs lying on my side to get the hip a bit stronger. There are other exercises for the hip too, but are difficult to explain. One stretch I do that seems to help is to lay flat on your back, draw the knee of the affected side up toward your chest and then bring that leg accross your body. The lower back and hip should feel the stretch. Sometimes I can get the SI joint to pop back in with this one. There is also a sitting IT band stretch that helps me out. Sit with legs out in front of you. Bend the knee of the leg you want to stretch and put it on the floor on the outer side of the straight leg, turn your shoulders in the opposite direction with your elbow on the knee to get the stretch. If you google IT band stretches you should get some hits with picture for these. If you can, check these out with your PT first. I hope this can help you.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.
owen13
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by owen13 »

cheers milly
i have seen the it band stretch on google,and i will try it
and thanks for the info on the si joint stretch
just a quick question,
when your si joint goes doyou feell as if your hamstring goes tight (semimembranous/adductor area)?
TwoBadKneesUSA
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by TwoBadKneesUSA »

Sometimes, I feel the tightness from the top of my hip to just below my knee. The back of the knee gets tight too. I do alot of hamstring stretches too. I've been told my SI joint is hypermobile. With some moist heat the the stretches I can usually get it back in place. It is definately miserable.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.
owen13
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by owen13 »

just got back from my pt and she said that my si joint was out and hip was out of alignment
so its been sorted again and i will now do regular stretching. she also massaged my hammy cause it was tight ,just need to wait 48 hrs to my hammy calms down then i will get back to building muscle

thanks again
owen

Return to “General rehab issues and pain problems”