Right at the start! ACI/MACI. Dr Briggs.

Tears, trimming, meniscectomy, meniscal repair, meniscal transplant, synthetic menisci, meniscal cyst
Langers1759
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Right at the start! ACI/MACI. Dr Briggs.

Post by Langers1759 »

Hi all,

I travelled from Bristol to London to see DR Briggs last Thursday and now find myself looking at an exploratory Op on Sunday 9th Nov 08 to see if my right knee is up to either ACI or MACI. In truth i dont really know the difference. Having alrweady had 2 Ops on damaged cartilage in my right knee (1st aged 17, 2nd aged 24) i am 50% hopefull that there may be a solution to something that is threatening my job and sanity!
The other 50%is full of apprehension having read a few posts.

I am a Policeman and have been sat in the office for the past 2 months like a bear with a sore head driving my colleagues round the bend!
Having played semi-pro football up until 2 years ago and my last op, i am pinning all my hopes on saving my carreer. Stopping football when everything seemed to be going so well broke my heart and i dont think i will ever fully get over it. The only other thing i love doing is my job which is obviously very active.

I hope i havent bored you too much and that someone will talk to me! If you have been through this or are also in a similar position to me i would love to hear from you.

Cheers
Chris.
Colin_Buckingham
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Right at the start! ACI/MACI. Dr Briggs.

Post by Colin_Buckingham »

Hi Chris,

just so you know you are not alone! I know exactly how you feel. I played semi-pro rugby up until two years ago when my life changed. I totally ruprtured my ACL. Minicus and articular cartiledge all in one. I have had 3 ops. I am currently recovering from my third op.

I know how hard it is !

all the best dude
ACL reconstruction left knee March 2007
CMI implant left knee May 2008
Langers1759
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by Langers1759 »

Cheers Colin,

Unfortunately had a call today to say my Private Health Care will not authorise the surgery. Absolutely gutted having geared myself up for the stage 1 on Sunday.

Currently writting a report to put to the trustees and then its a case of fingers crossed.

Chris.
Gibbon35
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Gibbon35 »

Hello Chris,

I have just passed the 1 year mark having ACI with Mr. Briggs. Im sorry to hear that your private health wont cover it. What was the reason if you dont mind me asking? If you manage to get the go ahead and have any question on what to expect from MACI/ACI and Mr. Briggs post op recover schedule then let me know. Ill help anyway i can......but i draw the line at back massages ;D

Gareth
Langers1759
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by Langers1759 »

Had knews yesterday that my healthcare will cover the MACI. Very relieved.
Got my date for stage 1 on 21st November. Not one bit nervous about the op at the moment just happy its happening.
Hopefully my knee will be up to the standard required and they will take the cells ready for a stage 2 pencilled in for 9th Jan 09.
If anyone has any tips or advise then please give me a shout it would be very welcome. Having to travel up from Bristol so currently trying to book my Mrs into a nerby B&B.

Cheers
Chris
Langers1759
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by Langers1759 »

Stage 1 went well. Cells taken so stage 2 booked in for Jan 9th. At least i get to have a xmas/new year.
getting bored at home already so dont know how i'm gonna cope in the new year.
Minxky
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by Minxky »

Hi There,

Just wanted to wish you the best of luck with your knee operation - I know what a testing time it can be - I've had around 12 knee ops, the last being a MACI with Briggs just over 2 years ago and I can honestly say my knee is the best it's been for 10+ years.

It's a long recovery in terms of they say it's three years before they can say your knee is fully recovered and you're not at risk of dislodging the graft, but post-operation wasn't too bad at all - I put that down to hydrotherapy which meant walking again after six weeks on crutches wasn't so difficult.

If you have any questions before, after, anytime about anything, then please feel free to ask - more than happy to help!

Best of luck with it all.
Langers1759
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by Langers1759 »

Thanks Minxky, was gonna send you a message but could find the link.

Just a week now before the second stage Maci. my knee feels strong having done the excercises given to me. Although over the xmas and NY period it was a bit of a struggle!
The extension of my leg is better than it was before the stage 1 so that must be a good thing.
Starting to get a few nerves, not specifically about the op but about the rdcovery time. I am due to get married 14 weeks after the stage 2 and a bit worried i will be hobbling down the aisle!!!
I have read such varied reports on here about initial recovery ranging from a few weeks to 4-5 months. Obviously i wont be break dancing at the wedding but be nice to do it without crutches etc.

Trying to sort things out for new year to keep me busy but i get bored when off work sick for the day so think i'm gonna be a nightmare to live with.

Not sure if i will wake up in a cast or a brace next week? any ideas?

Happy New Year all
Chris
Gibbon35
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Gibbon35 »

Hello Langers my man :) Im sure ive emailed you already but just incase ill leave a little message here. 14 weeks post op is more than enough time to ditch the crutches. Mr Briggs and Fred have a good way of making sure that you dont mother the knee to much. Basically the graft is a strong old git and there is quite alot you can do without damaging it (so they say :-\ ). What they want is muscle strength back so that the knee is as stable as can be. To give you an example of how robust the little patches are.....8 weeks post op on the 2nd stage I was in NYC walking around. No taxis, no subway....nothing but my slabs and pegs to take me everywhere. Sure the leg was sore and tierd, but it was exactly what was needed to help the leg and muscles develop.

Enjoy the 6 weeks NWB because after that it will be time to work that leg again.....slowly of course ;)

G
Minxky
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by Minxky »

Hey hey!

You must be near to ditching those crutches by now? How did the op go? All a success I hope?

As the previous poster says - you will be so fine to do without your crutches come your wedding date - the day 6 weeks hit I didn't touch them again - in fact I would say it was one of my easiest operation recoveries of all and I put that down to hydrotherapy. Also the brace was only on for a bit which meant there was none of that not being able to bend your leg business after a long haul with it straight.

Let us know how you're doing - and again, any questions, just ask.

Best of luck...
cart-transplant
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by cart-transplant »

Hi

I had my 2nd stage M A C I on the 2nd Dec 08 on the NHS. Everything was going great. I had my six week check up and my surgeon Mr William Bartlett was very impressed with my progression, strength and mobility. He gave me the go ahead to start weight bearing. 10 days down the line one of my physios put a slight weight on my leg in the hydro pool whilst laying on a floating bed doing the cycling action. All of I sudden I heard a crunch and had a sharp pain just below my knee cap. I hoped (and prayed ALOT it was only scar tissue). There after I have been unable to lift my leg straight or do any leg raises! Therefore nearly all excersies have been impossible! I made and appointment to go back to see my surgeon . They think one of my grafts has failed (I have had 2 done on the lateral side). I have just had a MRI Scan. I will get the results on 1st April of all days.
So all in all my experiences isn't that great so far. I am back on crutches (coming up to 4 months partial weight baring now).

I hope I haven't put you off. I'm sure you will be fine as a lot of people have had very good success rates, just no me :(

Hope all goes well.
Langers1759
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by Langers1759 »

Mate, gutted to hear that, hope you MRI was positive on the 1st? Mine is getting stronger slowly. Had a few days where it has felt really bad but after rest and ice it's settled down. I had the same 2 grafts on lateral. Going up to London again this thurs so hopefully another thumbs up. Back in work doing half days but off for a month with wedding this sat then honeymoon. Finding it a bit hard having g Physio in Bristol who knows very little about the rehab could do with a Bristol fred!
Hope all are well and feeling strong

Langers

Return to “Meniscus”