patellar subluxation, trochleoplasty, French doctor

Mal-tracking, lateral release, medial reefing, tibial tuberosity transfer, patellar arthritis, patellectomy, plica, patello-femoral braces. For patellar fractures, see Board on 'Bone Breaks around the knee'.
RugbyGal

patellar subluxation, trochleoplasty, French doctor

Post by RugbyGal »

Hello I was dignosed with severe patellar subluxation on the right knee. I was an active gal enjoying running and rugby but now my rigt knee's is bothering me. I had an MRI done a coupe of days of ago and now they found out that trochleoplasty would be suitable for my condition since the tibia i believe is bumpy and congruent and doesn't fit in with the patella. Apparently the only doctor is able to perform this surgery is in France by a physican named Dr. David DeJour. I was wondering if anybody was a patient of his and has the surgery been succesful for you? Does anybody have further info?

I'm sooo worried. I'm only 22 years old and I love sports and I dont' want arthritis at an early stage. I want to do the things that I love and live my lfe once again!
Silkncardcrafts
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Re: patellar subluxation, trochleoplasty, French doctor

Post by Silkncardcrafts »

Hi there,

Dr DeJour pioneered the operation. I had one on my left knee in late May by my OS in Melbourne and has made a big difference to me.

If you live in the UK there is a surgeon in Norwich called Dr Simon Donnell who does them too.

This is a very big operation. Have you been given much information about it ? Let me know if you have any questions. Would be happy to answer any questions you may have.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty
RugbyGal

Post by RugbyGal »

Omg finally someone with a similar condition! oh wow i have so many questions! how was it for you? are able to run/ to do sports after months of intense rehab. How long did it took finally get to that stage? Was it succesful for you? I'm just so worried really thanks!
Silkncardcrafts
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by Silkncardcrafts »

Hi RugbyGal,

Tried posting a message last night, but the internet was down.

My operation went smoothly and was in hospital for 2 nights. After the operation I wasn't put in a brace, but was on crutches. In total I was on crutches for 2 and a half months. Initially my OS said I would be on crutches for 2 to 4 weeks, but I had a complication in that I had a car accident 3 weeks after my operation. So, that was the main reason I was on crutches for longer.

I am now almost 7 months post-op and started back in the gym about a month ago. Not at a stage where I can run or place sport just yet. I have at least another 6 months more of rehab before I'll probably really know. The aim of the operation was to get my knee stable, be able to walk and sleep without it coming out. Anything on top of that is a bonus. I've had instability for close to 14 years so I have got the start of osteoarthritis. At the moment I do clinical pilates, go to the hydro pool and do a gym program. My OS has given me the all clear to do some swimming, but also have a shoulder and back injury which isn't allowing me to do that right now. This was due to a car accident I had last year. I stopped formal physio several months ago. My sports physician and knee surgeon advise me on what exercise I should be doing.

This operation has been a complete success for me. It never comes out anymore. I had a problem where my knee cap came out medially and laterally. So, was difficult to fix. It is the best decision I've ever made.

Would you like me to send you a private message with the name of my knee surgeon in Melbourne ? It would probably be cheaper to come to Melbourne than go to France. My OS is highly recognised world wide.

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know. :)
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Return to “The patello-femoral joint”