Total Knee Replacement 10 months later and still in pain

Also called 'total knee arthroplasty'
RodgerV
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Total Knee Replacement 10 months later and still in pain

Post by RodgerV »

Had TKR Feb, 2008. Completed 5 months of PT. I was still experiencing pain, clunking and burning when I went back to the OS in July. I was told this was to be expected, that full recovery was expected after a year or more. In addition to the pain and burning I began to experience buckling of the replaced knee. This buckling occurs at least 6-8 times a day. Most of the time I can catch myself, I have unfortunately fallen twice because of the buckling.
As the buckling increased I returned to the OS, only to be sent back to PT. After six week more of PT I returned to the OS. A possible diagnosis was my ligament was damaged or stretched and that maybe causing my symptoms. I am now wearing a metal hinged brace in the hopes that this will allow the ligament to heal. If not........ well I'm just not ready to go back there yet.

Anyone out there experiencing the same or similar problems?

huntingandmoon
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Re: Total Knee Replacement 10 months later and still in pain

Post by huntingandmoon »

Hi RodgerV,

I had my Right TKR in Jan '08 and I'm still in pain. Both sides of my knee and behind my knee hurt constantly. At night I get sharp shooting pains that go from my knee into my hip...difficulty sleeping unless I take a pain pill. I did have a lot of trouble with the knee buckling, but over time it seems to have gotten better, maybe it was PT increasing the weight bearing excercises. How long do you have to wear the brace? My OS offered no answers/help, he will take an x-ray at my one year mark. If I know him , he'll say the knee is "perfect". Maybe so, but if I'm still in pain I'm going elsewhere for a second opinion.

Keep us up-dated and take care.

Diana
bavage
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by bavage »

I am 5 months out from TKR and I sympathize with your complaints. The bad thing is that no one knows what to tell me. They just keep telling me it takes some people more time than others.
I really don't think they have an answer.
The good thing is that this is better than B/4 surgery. Keep us up to date,please.
Certified Dietary Manager, ServSafe Proctor, Options Trader.           

AKA, The Curmudgeon
Plumb
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by Plumb »

I experienced buckling. I was told my leg was still weak at times. Once or twice it took me off guard.
Better use a cane or walker till you get your legs stronger. It could take up to 2 years to feel better. All recovery's are different.
RodgerV
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by RodgerV »

When the buckling persisted I was sent back to PT. The therapist insisted my strength was at a very high level but put me back on a rigorour exercise routine again. Two weeks into it I hurt myself. Heard and felt a painful pop in my ligament.
I've had the brace on for almost a month now, with no change at all. I will be calling the OS next week to figure out what's next for me.
UK_Girl_!
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by UK_Girl_! »

if you are wearing a brace then it strikes me that your muscles are not being used properly and will weaken even more - more buckling - - post tkr physio needs to be intensive and maintained in my experience - I find if i havent done any exercise fore a couple of weeks that my knee gets slack - as soon as i get back to the ggym or swimming and doing the strengthening exercises it gets better. (just to add I have a job where I am on my feet 10 hrs a day at work - so its not like I am sat on my backside)
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/http ... ic.php?t=7  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)
digginit
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by digginit »

What ligament are you talking about? You don't have too many of those left after TKA. You have your medial and lateral collateral ligaments. A few TKAs spare the PCL. What's left are muscles and tendons. Are your quads on your operated knee the same as on your unoperated knee?

~dig
RodgerV
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by RodgerV »

Actually I'm not sure which ligaments? I was told by the OS that I now only have two ligaments remaining. The majority of the pain starts in the back and seems to wrap around the outside of the knee. Anyway I have an appointment with a new OS on 12/29 for a second opinion. Both my original OS and primary doctor both have mentioned as "revision" as a possibliity.
huntingandmoon
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by huntingandmoon »

Hi RodgerV,

I'm going to see my OS on 1/15 for a similar problem you are having with your knee. we had our TKR just a few weeks apart. What did your OS tell you? Are you going for a revision?

Let us know....

Thanks
Diana
john_52
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by john_52 »

I had a TKA 09-04-08 ,doing pretty well. I have a tendency to push too hard
at times. Range of motion very important , trying to get you leg flat,stetching the
back of knee.This was causing knee to buckle. I knew this and then I tried pushing the
knee down harder. I noticed a burning sensation in the knee, hurt real bad. I lighten up
on the exercises. I still have some burning, but doing exercises and building muscle big
part to your rehab. I agree w/ UK girl brace holding you back. Only my opinion....
Pufferpunk
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Post by Pufferpunk »

I have the same pain issues 18+ months after my TKR. Especially after sitting or standing for more than 20-30 ,inutes. It gives out on me for a day or 2 sometimes too. The OP & 2nd opinion just had me going back to PT. The 3rd & 4th opinions both think a thicker spacer will help. I feel like PT is really taking up too much of my life & I haven't gotten back any of the activities I eventually had to give up because of my OA.
UK_Girl_!
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by UK_Girl_! »

thing is when you have a tkr you really do need to keep up with the strengthening exercises as I said before - I do a heck of a lot of cycling and this really does keep it in check - I would say that the pain lasts for the first two years ! I still get shin pain at times and am coming up for 3rd anniversary next week !
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/http ... ic.php?t=7  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Return to “KNEE ARTHRITIS - Total Knee Replacement”