Arthrofibrosis Research Being Done Anywhere????

Adhesions, internal scarring, fat pad syndrome, infrapatellar contracture, patella infera (baja)
missmyknee
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Re: Arthrofibrosis Research Being Done Anywhere????

Post by missmyknee »

Here is an article on patella baja and IPCS. Go to page 23

http://issuu.com/jaapa/docs/march2009

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions
starpolisher
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by starpolisher »

Pam,
I thought your response to Decruz re the 2 therapies was so true. It's very good that they can adjust the settings and tailor it to the individual. This is very simplistic, but I always used ice on my knees when I was in so much pain....a heating pad just aggravated everything! Since having Astym treatments and the pain is so reduced, I use the heating pad before I start to exercise....and my knees are less stiff and afterwards I ice mildly. conditions have changed for me. My PT went an additional week without Astym....we will restart next week....she taught me some new exercises for posture, which I badly need! She is great....got rid of a lot of tension. She explains everything so well....am in good hands. Will begin another series for Astym next week. So far, haven't backtracked or lost anything at all.
missmyknee
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by missmyknee »

Hi Patty

I am so happy for you ;D I love reading how much this therapy has helped you and improved your quality of life !

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
TKR
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
3 Fusions
Decruz
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by Decruz »

missmyknee wrote: Here is an article on patella baja and IPCS. Go to page 23

http://issuu.com/jaapa/docs/march2009

Pam
Yes, but sadly there's nothing new...
missmyknee wrote: Decruz

It probably depends on who's PT dept you talk to. Dr Noyes PT dept uses ultrasound before patella mobes. I've had it done there by his head PT many, many, times for post-op therapy. It's only done 10 min and the setting is not high, esp for someone with an implant. Warmth doesn't always bring on inflammation, it also increases blood flow which aids in healing. Ultrasound settings are adjustable as is the amount of time/frequency it is used.

You reacted with increased inflammation, so it was discontinued, as it should be. AF rehab /treatments post-op have to be adjusted and tailored to the individual, depending on how their body reacts, as they move thru the rehab process. There have been several patients rehabbing AF along with me and we all are doing things a little different from each other, depending on how our bodies react.

It's good to have all this feedback on these 2 methods, it provides healthy dialogue between us and between patient/doctor/PT . ;D

Pam
I didn't know about Dr.Noyes' PTs doing it! After discovering it, I've to correct what I posted, these therapies could be used with AF.
For the record, I didn't react with increased inflammation so it was discontinued, instead these therapies were used after the problem started post-op with the 1st surgery, then when I was eventually diagnosed with AF in US I was told to absolutely not use these therapies with knee AF as they warm the knee.
Bye
Decruz

"Forward..."
Decruz
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by Decruz »

An update about the topical gel I'm using (Kitoscell - see my previous post about it): after almost 2 whole 90gr tubes and 6-7 weeks of use 3 times/day (the product is highly concentrated) I'm not seeing any positive results, the doctors from the producers told me to at least try it and stop after 2 months if without improvements: I'm going to stop after the end of the 2nd tube - I though was sensed keep using it for 6 months as they assured me it can not cause any damage but 1 90gr tube was extremely pricey ($100, only available in Mexican pharmacies) and I'm lately experiencing a minimal skin side effect, as excessive dry skin than I then hydrate with some cream (I experienced it even on the fingers I use the most to rub the gel on my knee) - anyway it's minimal.
Bye
Decruz

"Forward..."
Don_Draper
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by Don_Draper »

Juneau wrote:
I started taking the Glutamine, NAC, R-Lipoic-acid combination with dosage like Don Draper suggested the day after my LOA/AIR/LRR surgery two weeks ago. I don't know if it's because of the supplements or just because of enough time elapsed from surgery but my knee generally does not feel hot anymore (not like after my last surgery that caused the AF). I have to be careful not to "over-ice" it after exercise so it does not get too cold. Yesterday, I noticed a dimple on my outside knee - the first time I saw a contour on my knee in two years.

The only thing I need to watch with the supplements is that my stomach and digestive system can handle them better after I have eaten in the morning.
Good thing! Who knows, maybe supplements, maybe not. I wish i would have taken this cure after my first operation in 2010. After my second 2011 things start to turn really bad but turned to the better after supplements. Main thing is to avoid the "hot knee" as also Decruz mentions. Maybe the cure for the hot knee(and related increased inflammation) is very individual but think that it is very important to cure for individuals prone for AF.

Why supplement does not work on some individuals, might be related to how prone you are to develop AF? Its maybe so that it works only well for individuals that does not have a severe case? Or maybe the original reason why some individuals develope AF is different? So most likely there is no "one fits all" cure for now.

One thing would like to know, what is the relation to the enlarged patella and AF? Think my damaged patella was enlarged before the first operation. In fact might be that developed kind of AF even before the surgery.

missmyknee
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by missmyknee »

I thought I would post a link to the thread on Knee Dennervation in this thread

https://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/viewtopic.php?t=6

Also Decruz's thread on Healing Process

https://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/viewtopic.php?t=2

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
TKR
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
3 Fusions
Don_Draper
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by Don_Draper »

A brief update. ROM is getting better very slowly, but still improving. Swelling and hot knee is basically gone despite increase load on the knee, more active now. Tried to take a B vitamine complex together with glutamine and NAC, no good, got terrible side effects( burning skin... :o). But the patella is still pretty painful after/during load. Most of the doctors always mentioned its unusually painful.

The Denervation thing mentioned here makes me thinking(thanks Pam for the link!), should i go for it at some stage. I am slightly worried that the potentially planned ACI of my patella is mayby not that good idea considering risk of AF.
But possible consequences if something would go wrong with an oversea operation, hard to predict the outcome....but, if the pain would go away, that would be worth pretty much also.... :-\

missmyknee
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by missmyknee »

Here is an article using a solution called, ADEPT, for adhesion prevention in Abdominal surgery

Adept (icodextrin 4% solution) reduces adhesions after laparoscopic surgery for adhesiolysis: a double-blind, randomized, controlled study.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17383643

A randomized, controlled pilot study of the safety and efficacy of 4% icodextrin solution in the reduction of adhesions following laparoscopic gynaecological surgery.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11925401

Pam
Last edited by missmyknee on Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
TKR
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
3 Fusions
missmyknee
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by missmyknee »

Here are 3 articles about inflammation

Inflammation: The Hidden Time Bomb Within You

http://www.caring.com/articles/hidden-bomb-inflammation

Inflammation: It's All In The Diet

http://www.caring.com/articles/inflamma ... od-and-bad

5 Surprising Ways To Keep Inflammation In Balance

http://www.caring.com/articles/5-ways-t ... in-balance
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
TKR
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
3 Fusions
starpolisher
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by starpolisher »

I saw my podiatrist today and he mentioned a very interesting procedure he told me to ask my orthopedic about. It's an ancient Chinese therapy called cupping. I've seen it on tv at one time.....but they do mention using it for orthopedic problems. I am used to seeing it done on the back of individuals but it supposedly brings up bad tissue to the surface and softens scar tissue. I think I have gone about as far as I can with the Astym. I have had a really rough several months so have been having astym but skipped last week. I go tomorrow. My husband had surgery for sinusitis (his 3rd) but developed asthma and had to take him to the ER. I had asthma as a child and thought he was wheezing badly and had asthma....my son had it too. He and I are both over ours, but my husband is just beginning. Fortunately treatment is much advanced and he is now under control and the surgery went well. He had a really severe, almost nonstop cough since late Oct. (from his sinuses draining constantly....had a cyst and infections and was misdiagnosed). It just finally stopped this past Sat. Our nerves are shot! Anyway, while the astym has enabled me to walk with both knees having arthrofibrosis, I don't think much more can be done. I have a really good orthopedic surgeon here and he told me to ask him about cupping. The articles on the internet sounded promising....I always felt if only they could soften scar tissue how much easier and better our rom might be. There is a place in Indianapolis that does it so I will inquire and see if I am a possible candidate. You might want to do an internet search. Am too tired to post sites...just googled and did some reading. Who knows? Might be another tool for us! Please don't ask for a lot of info: I just heard about it and have a full day tomorrow and a very busy few weeks with doctor appts. We can all do research. Maybe you'll find a lot.....I did a quick check.
Rennschnecke
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by Rennschnecke »

There was a posting some time ago about a set of suction cups for releasing scar tissue under the patella tendon. I tried the link to Banner Therapy, but they no longer seem to have the item.

I searched 'cupping' for scar tissue treatment and eventually came upon some products ...
http://www.theracupping.com/store.html

If anyone in the US has any experience with these, please post.

With thanks!
8)
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope – debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope – chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope – LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope – AIR & LR.
captainruss
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by captainruss »

Where do you purchase the supplements posted above? Do they require a prescription? I have asked all three (3) of my previous OS if there were supplements I could take to counter act the AF and the affects of the pain meds. Aliens captured all OS in Florida and erased anything they ever heard of about AF!!

Russ
80 Shattered patella 5 surg
09  TKR 
09  MUA
09  MUA
09  Knee infected??
10  TKR  Scar Tissue
10  2nd OS  Diagnosis Infection
10  TKR with antibiotic spacer, no joint
4/11  TKR
11  TKR PT
11  TKR
11  TKR  AF diagosis
12/11  HO diagnosed
2012  Intractable Pain
2012  OS split
amputation possible?
missmyknee
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by missmyknee »

An interesting study recently done

Fear of Lawsuits Influences Care From Most Orthopedic Surgeons
http://www.everydayhealth.com/healthy-l ... d%3D134683
Last edited by missmyknee on Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
TKR
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
3 Fusions
captainruss
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by captainruss »

Pam,

I need your advice. My 14 year old daughter has a right knee problem. She fractured her growth plate a couple of years ago. They put it in a cast and her leg grew bow legged. She has trouble now with her patella riding in a shallow groove and it tends to dislocate. She has pain all the time, it used to be when she ran. We have tried PT and strength exercises. The OS says if he snips one side of the tendon, the patella will track straight. She has one side of the growth plate that is growing and the other that is not.

I am soooooooooo afraid this AF may be hereditary. One one hand, I had 28 major surgeries prior to AF. Only on my 6th knee surgery did I get AF and then it took 8 surgeries to be diagnosed.

She wants to go to the Naval Academy, but she must get relief. Any ideas? I will not spend the money to go to Dr. Noyes for me, but if you think he would see her, I would just rob a bank or a McDonald's or something!! (Humor ....I know the Government is watching me...just kidding guys)...

Any ideas?

Russ
80 Shattered patella 5 surg
09  TKR 
09  MUA
09  MUA
09  Knee infected??
10  TKR  Scar Tissue
10  2nd OS  Diagnosis Infection
10  TKR with antibiotic spacer, no joint
4/11  TKR
11  TKR PT