Age 27: Diagnosis Knee Arthritis

General discussions
will1129
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Age 27: Diagnosis Knee Arthritis

Post by will1129 »

Was just told the news today. I'm quite devastated. This happened as a result of a failed partial menisectomy almost two years ago. It's not bone on bone yet but the doctor said that the cartilage is worn down and blunted. She said I might be a candidate for cartilage transplant surgery, given my age. But idk if I would actually want to go through with that.

So, I'm kind of wondering where do I go from here. I still want to live my life to the fullest and not let my knee get in the way. If anyone can share how they manage their arthritis or post some good resources for me, I would much appreciate it.
Deeply regret having knee surgery...hoping it can be fixed.
TimHer
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Re: Age 27: Diagnosis Knee Arthritis

Post by TimHer »

Can you contact me on facebook
[Facebook link removed by KNEEguru - anti-spam policy]
Last edited by TimHer on Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
mmrocker13
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Post by mmrocker13 »

Ask about the transplant. Get a few opinions. :-) I've had post-traumatic OA (grade IV) since I was a kid, and I'm still kicking :-)
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty
cdubb

Post by cdubb »

Get more information about cartilage restoration procedures that you may be a candidate for. ACI, OATS, fresh osteochondral allografts, Denovo NT. If you have meniscal deficiency though, you may also need a meniscal transplant done concurrently, so I would find a cartilage restoration expert that can deal with all issues, as well as ensure any malalignments are addressed. I personally am 13 weeks out of a patella ACI to repair a grade 4 defect, as well as a tibial tuburcle osteotomy and so far things are very promising.

will1129
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by will1129 »

Seriously though the last thing I want to do at this point is have more surgery. I think I want to just formulate a plan to stay active and relieve my knee symptoms going forward in my life as much as I can. Surgery messed up my knee, I'm not going down that road again.
Deeply regret having knee surgery...hoping it can be fixed.
Lottiefox
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Post by Lottiefox »

Will

I too have early OA - grade 3-4 in two compartments but thankfully decent joint space and no real swelling, joint malformation etc. I too am keen to avoid surgery! My OS said that generalised OA doesn't respond that well to some of the transplant technqiues, as its like trying to darn a threadbare sock. Unless there is sound cartilage around the worn bits they can't anchor the new bits. So, I'm trying all I can to live with what I have. It seems to be trial and error and often a guesising game what works and what makes things worse. I take Celebrex which settles down bad PFS type flare ups. I am due for my second Euflexxa shots next week, in both knees this time to see what happens. I had one in my most troublesome left knee last year and I think it helped. I stick with my PT exercises as well as trying to build time on bike, cross trainer, walking longer and faster, resistance training, balance work, Pilates etc etc. I avoid foods/drinks that I think make matters worse. I try and stick some fish oils down me regularly through either real fish or capsules. I foam roll religiously, have a sports massage once a month, stretch like a demon. Its a full time job trying to normalise things but I think its OK. Its a big concept to get your head round but it isn't the end of active life. Its about finding a plan that works for you, and also trying not to think scary things about the future. None of us know whats round the corner so I've tried to stop fretting about the inevitable PFJR or TKR someway down the line.....something else may see me of before that, none of us know...!

Good luck with managing your knee. Stay strong

Lottie :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....
Sam1983
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by Sam1983 »

Hello Will,
I also had a plica surgery and don't seem to recover since. I see you've been away for quite sometime. Did you figure out a solution to your knee problem? Did recovery eventually get any better? Any advise. Please help. Thank you,

Return to “KNEE ARTHRITIS - General principles of managing Osteoarthritis of the knee”