Above Knee Amputation for OA?

General discussions
KattHendo
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Above Knee Amputation for OA?

Post by KattHendo »

Has anyone had or considered having an above knee amputation (AKA) to treat OA?

I am a 32 year old female with OA in my knees. I had my first Tibial Osteotomy when I was 16, and unfortunately had to have a second surgery for relignment of a non union. I have always had a lot of pain swelling since, and thinking this was a normal outcome of a tibial osteotomy I dealt with it for years. When it became too much to handle I went back to my OS who preformed another Open Wedge High Tibial Osteotomy to correct a Valgus deformity. It has been 1.5 years since my last surgery and I am in constant pain. I have swelling and lack of movement. My knee hyperextends when flexed straight (standing). My left foot points in, I cannot get my heels to touch as I am now in a Varus Deformity. I cannot run, knee, sit crossed leg, and my range of motion is effected. I am 13degrees off from my knee to ankle. I have osteophytes in both knees (i have a lot of restrictions that effect my life in all aspects) I recently saw a new OA who says I have Femoral Antiversion and that the reason my osteotomies preformed at the tibial level have had problems is because the issue stems from my hip. Unfortunately this leave us with a decision for what to do now. I am having the metal removed on June 2nd in order to prepare for future surgeries. This OS has refferred me to another surgeon as he is retirining shortly. His 'idea' for future surgeries was to consider doing a femoral osteotomy to correct the femoral antervision, and then another tibial osteotomy to correct the pervious ones once my femor is in proper alignment.

The problem with all this is that the outcome is only speculation. Preforming more surgeries (either osteotomies, or knee/hip replacements) will not guarentee to solve my pain and mobility issues. It may only asthetically straighten my leg. The OS is unaware of the outcome. It may not imporve my mobility or pain, and it may make it worse.

As I am only 32 years old, I am considering the long term impact of having these surgeries preformed (again) and Im begening to believe - which is leading me to seek advice and experience from others - that an above the knee amputation may be in my best interest. (I forgot to mention Im also a mom to a 6 year old and a 1.5 year old) There are many amputees that live 'normal' and very active (even running marathons) lives, which is not something I see in my furture if I continue with these surgeries. Im starting to believe that an AKA would provide me the pain relief and ability to live actively. As I am young I have a great chance to adapt to an AKA and believe in the long run it affords me a much happier life.

Has anyone had an amputation preformed due to OA?
mulberrysdream
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Above Knee Amputation for OA?

Post by mulberrysdream »

The thought crosses my mind daily and i'm 26. I hope you found a better option! Curious as to how you are doing...
Right Knee-
MT Menisectomy, Chondroplasty, 10/16
MT Repair, Chondroplasty, Clean out+ BMAC/PRP7/16
Meniscus Transplant & OATs 8/15
Notchplasty,Osteophyte Removal,Prep for MT/OATs 7/15
loose body removal, menisectomy- 4/15
Menisctomy, loose body removal1/14
Lateral Release08
Meniscus Repar 07

Return to “KNEE ARTHRITIS - General principles of managing Osteoarthritis of the knee”