PRP

General discussions
Dawnf
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

PRP

Post by Dawnf »

A 8 months ago I had PRP done to my left knee. The pain seemed to subside, to a comfortable ache, could live with it. Then 3 months ago using rpthe Harvest system, I had the right knee done. (Having OA bilateral knee) The Harbest program was much better. However, it was very painful for 2 days. Now, I'm about 90% good. Just yesterday, we redid my left knee using clear PRP. I have to say that, 1) the clear hurt for a couple minutes, and I limped a little, but cleared quickly, 2) I feel the clear absorbed better into the joint, and this morning I am feeling pain free. I know this is only a temporary fix, as I think TKA is in my future. But for now, I'm happy. Anyone else have PRP discussions?
Knhoj
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Re: PRP

Post by Knhoj »

Having spoken to an ortho consultant friend of mine the ortho community appears to be divided on the use of PRP with most not supporting its use. No one seems to fully understand what concentrations work best and for which indications. He said "you would better of taking a supplement like glucosamine or chondroitin, or even Synofit if you can afford it"!
Brandon123
Forum Faithful
Forum Faithful

Re: PRP

Post by Brandon123 »

I agree with @Knhoj, there seems to be mixed opinions regarding PRP in the ortho community, especially for arthritis/cartilage damage. However, more and more studies are being published on the topic, and some recent meta-analyses (reviews of many studies) are indicating that PRP may be more efficient than hyaluronic acid.
Last edited by Brandon123 on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

Return to “KNEE ARTHRITIS - General principles of managing Osteoarthritis of the knee”