Help?

Bits of loose joint cartilage or torn meniscus floating in the joint, and causing painful catching.
Texans18
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Help?

Post by Texans18 »

Hi so I am currently an 18 yr old (female). My first knee surgery was when I was 15 after a select soccer game. I had torn my meniscus and ACL. My first game back I retore my meniscus in two places. Then came back and around 6 months later ended up tearing my ACL, MCL, and meniscus. They had to split that surgery into two. So in less than two years, I have had four knee surgeries on my left knee.
I waited for over a year and a half before playing soccer again (I had exercised and dabbled a little in soccer). Now I have been fully released for about a month and a half. But recently I have noticed my knee will almost slide out of place (towards the inside of my knee) when playing. It's normally pretty painful and sore (on the inside of my knee) for a few days but nothing debilitating. Two days ago, I did a move around a girl and felt this almost crunch in my knee. It was extremely painful and I couldn't walk on my knee without severe pain on the inside of my knee (also kinda under the inner part of my kneecap). My knee didn't really swell until hours after and I can't fully extend it (bc of some pain and I imagine the swelling). Now I can kinda walk on it but only with a bent knee and that's if my knee doesn't decide to hurt. I have been compressing, elevating, icing, and medicating and I recently put my post-op brace on it to help with extending (bending is absolutely no problem). Before this, my trainer seemed to just think it was my scar tissue causing my knee to "pop". I am seeing my physical therapist here in a couple days. But does anyone have any ideas on what this could be? My mom thinks it might be just my bones grinding since I don't have a lot of menisci and my dad thinks it could be a sprain? Thanks !!
The_KNEEguru
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Help?

Post by The_KNEEguru »

It may be time to thing of a less active recreation?
About the current problem - maybe a loose body (torn bit of joint cartilage or meniscus) - https://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/kn ... loose-body
--
KNEEguru
vickster
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Help?

Post by vickster »

Indeed, bones grinding together aged 18 due to no meniscus is not a good thing for the lng term future of your knee. So presumably the surgeon removed the tissue rather than trying to repair it? Have they properly explained the risk of early arthritis following the meniscus removal and long term implications. Has anybody discussed a meniscus transplant to try to save the joint surface if not too damaged already? You'd need to find an expert surgeon

It's probably time to get an MRI and discuss the implications of all the surgery and ongoing injuries. Your soccer trainer should also be party to these discussions whether or not you are a recreational or professional player

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Return to “Loose bodies”