What are the symptoms of a thrombosis?

For anyone who has had vein clots complicating their rehab
zepher
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

What are the symptoms of a thrombosis?

Post by zepher »

Hi Guys,
Im having a bit of a time of it at the mo, just had 2 ops these last few months and im trying to heal.
am occasionally experiencing calf pain similar to a cramp. The crampy pain is in the left calf, obviously in the same leg as i had operations on.
I am a bit worried that it maybe DVT, my op was in april, so i thought i was out of the daner zone. I am very active and have been diligent with my exercises. I wore heels to a party on sat (it is now monday) but i did spend a great deal of the time sitting.
I just would like to know what a DVT feels like, is it painfull? if so to what extent? i have experienced this now on and off for a week or so, this is the second time i have felt this feeling. It is not so much painfull but i cant walk properly and i have to sort of walk on my tip toes to feel any comfort, it feels like i have a clenched fist in my lower calf.
So if any of you kind people could fill me in on your experience of DVT i would be most greatfull x
I have had the best part of the year off work and could do with not having any more time off, how easy can this be treated? and does it require any time off work?
Thanks in advance for any replys
Kerry xxxxxxxx ;D
maryc
SuperKNEEgeek
SuperKNEEgeek

Re: What are the symptoms of a thrombosis?

Post by maryc »

I wouldn't mess around if I suspected DVT - I's go stright to emergency, at the very least call your OS or GP.
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS
postACLallograft09
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

2 months post-surgery ACL: flying ok for 18 hrs DVT risk??

Post by postACLallograft09 »

I have an opportunity to travel on a work-related trip to somewhere I really want to go to: a 1 week trip--2 flights, up to 18-23 hours flying time. I'm doing great on my recovery and don't want to risk if it's truly a DVT risk at 9 weeks post-surgery. Any advice on this?? My surgeon didn't want to give a definite answer as she wasn't sure, but offered that she wouldn't fly at 6 weeks post ACL surgery herself when she had an ACL. Thoughts?
yankeelady1952
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by yankeelady1952 »

HI ALL,
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY SURGERY INVOLVING THE BONES, ALWAYS CARRIES THE RISK OF BLOOD CLOTS? IS IT THE FAT RELEASED FROM THE FATTY BONE MARROW, OR DOES THE SURGERY MESS UP YOUR NORMAL BLOOD CLOTTING? OR IS IT BLOOD STASIS, FROM BEING TOO INACTIVE FROM THE SURGERY? IF YOU JUST HAVE HARDWARE REMOVED ONLY, DO YOU STILL NEED POST OP BLOOD THINNERS?

ANY THOUGHTS WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

YANKEELADY
stonebo
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by stonebo »

yankeelady, it's actually any surgery that causes you to be sedentary that can cause blood clotting risk, especially surgery in the pelvis and legs where the deep vein thrombi form. I have had several bouts with DVTs and PEs (pulmonary embolism) and now have a Greenfield filter in my inferior vena cava to catch clots before they get to my lungs again. Even with that precaution, I had a heparin injection preop and took low dose aspirin for the first 6 weeks post op. I am not on long term therapy with blood thinners. If you do not have other risk factors for developing DVTs, you probably will not need any blood thinners post op. Post op DVT is considered rare. Just be aware of the symptoms and get to your doctor if you experience any of them.
yankeelady1952
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by yankeelady1952 »

THANKS STONEBO, FOR THE REPLY. YOUR INFO HELPED. I WAS SCARED ABOUT DVT AND POSSIBLE PE. I AM ALREADY TAKING LOW DOSE ASPIRIN THERAPY--RECOMMENDED AT MY AGE ANYWAY. I KNOW TO BE ACTIVE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. ALWAYS A RISK THO. I AM READING UP ON THE SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS, ANYWAY TO BE CAUTIOUS.

THANKS, YANKEELADY
paintngrl
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by paintngrl »

My symptoms
leg swelling
hurts when you flex your foot. Pull your toes up toward your knee.
Feels like a fishing line is tied around my upper thigh. (Or like you underwear elastic is too tight and digging in)
For me it hurt just to put my leg on the ground.

My experience with DVT's.... I had knee surgery on my right knee (osteotomy) Doctor said the operation was a step before a knee replacement and I would be pain free for 10 years. That didn't happen.

One month after surgery they removed my thigh high cast. A couple days later while still on crutches I felt a pain in my inner thigh. I thought I had pulled a muscle in my upper thigh in my good leg. After sitting for hours I tried to get up to go to the bathroom and my mucles wouldn't respond and I was in pain. It felt like someone tied fishing line around the top of my leg cutting off the circulation. My leg swelled beyond belief and I was helped to the car screaming in pain the whole way. When I got to the hospital I still thought I had just pulled a muscle. Nurse took one look at me in the car and called it. Blood clot!!! They told my husband I had about 30 minutes. Yep, wasn't expected to live. I was tested put on Heparin for 10 days and then Warfarin at home. 3 months later I got a phone message to quit taking the Warfarin, I should be fine. 5 days later same pain especially in my calf. Again, 10 days on Heparin, back on Warfarin for life. That was 1994.

I still have residual swelling my my leg that will never go away. When in doubt get it checked out. Paintngrl
yankeelady1952
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by yankeelady1952 »

HI PAINTNGRL,
THANKS FOR THE INFO AND YOUR EXPERIENCE. SO SORRY THAT YOU HAVE GONE THROUGH SO MUCH. I KNOW THAT THESE CLOTS ARE NOTHING TO FOOL AROUND WITH. THEY CAN BE SO GENERAL AND VAGUE WITH SYMPTOMS, THAT IT IS GOOD TO BE EDUCATED ABOUT THEM. IT IS SO WEIRD THAT SOME PEOPLE ARE EXPECTED TO GET A DVT AND DO NOT, AND OTHERS GET ONE OUT OF THE CLEAR BLUE WITH NO OBVIOUS REASON TO. YOU JUST NEVER KNOW, SO IS BEST TO KNOW ALL THE SYMPTOMS.

THANKS FOR SHARING.

YANKEELADY
Juan_Zelada
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by Juan_Zelada »

Donxc2xb4t lose your time, go to your hospital

Return to “DVT and Pulmonary Embolus”