sausage toes and psoriasis

Rheumatoid arthritis, juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, Still's disease - types of arthritis where usually many joints are affected and patients are often quite ill.
Petal
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

sausage toes and psoriasis

Post by Petal »

I have bad osteo arthritis in my knee-and am on waiting list for replacement..

but over last 2 years I am getting spells of a week or more at a time where the two smallest toes on my foot are swelling up like hot painful fat sausages... and I am starting to wonder if this is connected to the fact I have psoriasis.

I was sent to a rheumatologist about 5 years ago who said did not have rheumatoid arthritis, not lupus and didn't think my arthritic knee was anything to do with the psoriasis. did not have toe issue then although they were going blue a fair bit which was noted- circulation in that area was checked and they said all ok.

If it is psoriasis causing this can I just ignore it for the moment? I don't want to lose my place in knee replacement queue by complicating things as its not horrifically painful just another nuisance.
vickster
Administrator
Administrator

Re: sausage toes and psoriasis

Post by vickster »

Sounds like something to discuss with your GP.
Can't see why it would affect your place in the TKR queue (have they told you how long the wait might be?)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone
Petal
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Petal »

Thank you Vickster. I was told 9 - 12 months in December so not holding my breath!

really I am wondering if it is psoriasis causing it is it dodgy to leave it ?, I would rather leave well alone as its just another fairly minor problem added to the list but not if its going to cause worse trouble later on if ignored. shall think on it. I don't really fancy rocking up to my appallingly over busy GP with something so minor as it seems a bit pathetic taking up an appointment for toes swell up!!
vickster
Administrator
Administrator

Post by vickster »

Does elevating help? Just two toes? Have you had psoriasis on your toes before? Are you treating the skin with cream, would that not help if psoriasis?
Really you need to discuss with a Dr if it's worrying you. Just book a phone appointment, it's likely not urgent unless in severe pain.
Is there a psoriasis support group? Might be a better place to ask?
If it's more inflammation, try some ice or Voltaren assuming skin not broken? Or ask a chemist rather than Dr, perhaps about a mild steroid cream maybe?
My toes are always podgy ;D
Last edited by vickster on Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone
Petal
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Petal »

lol I have skinny toes generally. which makes the two sausage ones really noticeable

psoriasis- I actually don't get it on my feet (just pops up everywhere else) I made mistake of googling and it came up with sausage toes can be sign of arthritis caused by psoriasis as a type of autoimune thing, so just trying to work out whether this is something that can be ignored or needs dealing with. knee is bad enough without other joints joining the party.

treating them same as knee- elevate, ice etc-at least its same leg so can elevate both at once lol

will research a bit further & decide if have to brave going to GP. they aren't as painful as knee so don't feel too urgent about it
vickster
Administrator
Administrator

Post by vickster »

I'm no expert but I thought psoriatic arthritis affected the areas with the plaques? Maybe not though as it's an autoimmune disease.
Arthritis in toes is pretty common especially if ever broken so the psoriasis could just be a coincidence.
Try looser or softer but supportive shoes perhaps?

Return to “Rheumatoid Arthritis (and its variants)”