Metal removal after tibia Plateau fracture 2 years ago

Tibial plateau fractures, femoral fractures, fractured patella
caroline1000
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Metal removal after tibia Plateau fracture 2 years ago

Post by caroline1000 »

HI All, I am booked in to have all my metalwork removed as I now need a MCL and ACL replacement and the screws are in the way of fixing any new ligaments, particularly the mcl repair. I am 2.5 years post original surgery, things have not returned to normal and only recently found out after exploratory op that I have no functioning MCL or ACL which could be causing me some of the continuing issues. I am very concerned about being non weight bearing again post op for removal of metal work. Does anyone have experience of the metal removal they can share and also does anyone have any experience of also finding out about ligament damage post original operation.
The_KNEEguru
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Metal removal after tibia Plateau fracture 2 years ago

Post by The_KNEEguru »

Hi
It seems like you have had a hard couple of years!

Regarding your second question, here are a few answers:
Although ROM is acceptable in knee joint fractures, instability is common....it is necessary to pay more attention to ligaments during treatment of these fractures....The incidence rates of ligament injuries in tibial plateau fractures were as follows: Anterior Collateral Ligament (ACL) 26%, Posterior Collateral Ligament (PCL) 7%, MCL 24%, and LCL 14%. Medial collateral ligament injury was the most common in the Schatzker type 2 (50% of the injuries).
Here is the reference - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4362032/. The Schatzker classification is here /KNEEnotes/knee-dictionary/tibial-plateau-fracture
Bella_Gamba
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Bella_Gamba »

Hi Caroline,

I had a plate and several screws removed a year after my TPF ORIF. The recovery is much faster. Below is a link to a post on my recovery:

viewtopic.php?p=679641#p679641

Best wishes on a speedy recovery,

Bella
drunkignorant
MICROgeek (<20 posts)
MICROgeek (<20 posts)

Post by drunkignorant »

Bella_Gamba wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:29 am Hi Caroline,

I had a plate and several screws removed a year after my TPF ORIF. The recovery is much faster. Below is a link to a post on my recovery:

viewtopic.php?p=679641#p679641geometry dash online

Best wishes on a speedy recovery,

Bella
After surgery, do you have to use a brace to stabilize it? During recovery, did your doctor tell you to avoid anything? How long did your recovery take? Sorry for asking you so many questions. But I'm quite confused about my upcoming surgery
The_KNEEguru
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The_KNEEguru »

This article is discussing intramedullary nail removal after tibial plateau fracture - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2552942/

and the authors say
There is no consensus regarding the criteria and indications for removal of tibial IMNs after healing. The only consensus within the literature is that removal of implants is an operative procedure with a set of risks and complications that need to be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Return to “Bone breaks around the knee”